Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Recommendation for Ob/Gyn and MFM doctor

Recommendation for Ob/Gyn and MFM doctor

Postby torian0319 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 05:26 am

Good Morning-
I am new to the Indianapolis area (Fishers) and my husband and I are planning for our last (third) child. My first two were born at 28 weeks due to PE/placenta abruption. There are two hospitals that I am considering. Can anyone help shed some light on the quality of care and physicians associated with these two hospitals. I know a new hospital is coming but I am not sure if it will be ready when I will need to be admitted, for whatever reason. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Torian
torian0319

Re: Recommendation for Ob/Gyn and MFM doctor

Postby blythe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 03:58 pm

Anyone who has information for Torian please feel free to share information via private messaging and email - our guidelines ask that we not discuss doctors or hospitals publicly so I've edited out hospital names.

Torian, welcome. I'm glad you found us but sorry you've needed to! I hope this last pregnancy is smoother sailing and that you can find a doctor and hospital you are happy with. Can I ask - have you been tested for underlying disorders? What have your previous MFMs said about your risk of recurrence? We've had many women who have had PE more than once without any underlying disorders, but occasionally they find something treatable (like getting kidney damage managed before pregnancy to lower chances of superimposed PE).
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby torian0319 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 05:37 pm

Thank you and I forgot to not use the actual hospital name...sorry about that. I have not been tested for any underlying disorders, but I do have three kidneys that seem to be under alot of stress when I am pregnant, which may be what cause the PE. There was some talk about removing one of them, since I only need two, but the two on one side are attached to each other and both seem to have the same degree of loss functioning. We decided that it is better to have three, with two with some loss of functioning that only one functioning kidney. No further testing have been done at this point. I will continue to communicate with others on the site as I need the support from others who have experienced this illness. Thanks and again and I am sorry about the hosptial names :)
torian0319

Postby blythe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 am

Forgetting about the names is perfectly okay, especially on your first posts! :D That, and double posting, are things just about everybody forgets, thanks for understanding!

That's really interesting - since I'm a total geek about this stuff :) - that you have three kidneys but all of them don't do well in pregnancy. It's been a while since I've done a lit search on kidney issues and PE, but my limited understanding is that kidney issues are definitely a risk for developing PE. I assume you're looking for a good nephrologist as well as an MFM so they can coordinate?

If you're interested, search the Ask the Experts archives for kidney issues and PE, and let us know what you find!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby torian0319 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 04:50 pm

I did see a nephrologist with the last pregnancy and he placed me on medicine to control my bp, but that was about all. He also gave me medication for my migraines - I am a migraine sufferer. When I was admitted to the hospital, he stopped by to consult with my OB. I actually have not research kidney disorder/issues with PE, but as you mentined, I suspect that it is a contributing factor. I will do some additional research and post the info. Many women do not know that they have duplicate kidneys. I knew b/c I have uterine didelphysis (two uterus, two vaginas and two cervix) and since the urinary and reproductive system develop at the same time, if there is a developmental abnormality with one, there is usually an issue with the other. They discovered that I had three kidneys after my diagnosis of uterine didelphysis. I wonder how many women with PE have a reproductive abnormality. Anyway, thank you for the inquiry and I will investigate this more.

Torian
torian0319

Return to Indiana