17 weeks, new member!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

17 weeks, new member!

Postby MLeever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am

Hello! I had pregnancy induced hypertension/pp preeclampsia 3 days after my son was born 2 1/2 years ago and spent a week in the ICU. Now I'm pregnant with #2, 17 weeks along. So far, everything is going well. It's an easy pregnancy with minimal pain/discomfort/morning sickness. My bp on my first appt. at 6 weeks was 100/62, second appt. 127/66, third appt. 132/66 and yesterday it was 133/76. So, it's steadily climbing, but still in a normal range. I am still nervous, though, and have a few questions.. Because my first pregnancy was normal, not classified as high risk, because everything happened AFTER... I don't know what I should ask of my doctor or put in my birth plan now that I am classified as high risk. What should I expect of my birthing team this time around?
MLeever

Re: 17 weeks, new member!

Postby LauraBeck12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:15 pm

If i were you i would request extra monitoring.
If your BP is rising then it's rising. Not to panic but to just be extra aware and diligent which sounds like you are but you want to bring your medical team on board and up to speed too. They may treat you like you're over reacting but don't worry, you are justified in your concerns. Better safe then sorry, always.
I would ask for some extra blood tests and urine tests now so they have something to compare with later.
I hope it's all smooth sailing for you! Best wishes.
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Postby sam10 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 05:51 pm

Welcome to the forums!
Are you being seen by a high-risk ob, also called MFM? Or is your ob consulting with one? If not, I would try to get an MFM onboard. High-risk ladies usually get more monitoring (US, labwork) throughout pregnancy. I would discuss with your doctor what your care will look like for you during this pregnancy. It might be also a good idea to monitor your BP at home, so you know your patterns, which then you can report to your doctor.BP fluctuates during the day and with activity and can differ from machine to machine.
Let us know how it goes. We are here to keep you company :-)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby courageismyname » Tue Jan 15, 2013 05:09 am

Hello and welcome! I can relate to PE (or in my case, just E) stuff being diagnosed late in the game last pregnancy-for me no one detected it until I seized in labor. Postpartum I had high BPs in the hospital for about 5 days but they went down with meds and so far have never returned (now I am 32 weeks into pregnancy #2).

I totally recommend an MFM... I consulted with 2 before I got pregnant, a third once I was pregnant, and ultimately was referred to a totally MFM/high risk practice towards the end of my first trimester in this pregnancy. They have been amazing and super knowledgeable, vigilant and careful with me, which I completely appreciate. I feel I am in excellent hands, which ultimately was not the case last time.

This time round I had 24-hr urine early on for baseline, take extra calcium and low-dose aspirin, check my BP at home with my own cuff in addition to at Dr.'s, have had many, many more ultrasounds than last time to check progress and growth. 2 gestational diabetes tests because my last baby was big and this one's measuring big too. Went to L&D once at doctor's request 6 weeks ago for a headache-they were trying to get me in to a neurologist. They're always there for all my questions/concerns and take them totally seriously. Plus they're calm, knowledgeable, used to handling even more challenging cases than mine and have great senses of humor. I can't recommend enough finding super-attentive, knowledgeable medical providers.

Hope this helps-I have always found these forums so helpful (found them even before my seizure!).
Eclamptic seizure in labor 12/1/09, age 39. Son born very healthy at 42 weeks and 9 lbs 4 oz via C section. PE had been suspected (by me) but not diagnosed by homebirth midwife. Pregnant again with #2, due 3/9/13.
courageismyname

Return to Pregnant Again?