Anyone familiar with l-carnitine for pre eclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Anyone familiar with l-carnitine for pre eclampsia?

Postby Kksgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:10 pm

Ok, so I found a dr here in the Dominican Republic who is not only familiar with pre e, he treated his own wife for it. he has a personal tie to it. Well, he did a pretty thorough exam, considering there was a woman going into labor at his office. I'm going back Thursday with all my previous labs, to do more labs, and do an ultrasound. He did a quick scan and noticed the amniotic fluid was low. He didn't seem too concerned.....either he knows I spook easily or it it isn't that low. I noticed her head measured 23 w 5 d, and I was 25 w 2 d. My last us was 22 weeks and she was normal. But it was a VERY fast scan, so I'm trying to stay positive. He didn't even mention the size, but again, I think he sees I'm freaking out. Anyways, he seems to do things my drs in America were afraid of. Like starting me on steroid injections next week even though my bp is stabalized, my last protein number last week was 273, and labs were not extreme. I like this thinking. He warned me I WILL get fat, and I'll get stretch marks.....like it would change my mind! He is also putting me on magnesium next week since he had to order it. No labs here make it. He is having me drink 2 large protein drinks daily, eat only grilled chicken, fruits and veggies. I can live with that. But something he did that struck me as odd is prescribed l carnitine 3 x a day. In liquid form. I'm semi familiar with it as my husband is into weight lifting, but only heard about it in passing. I've tried to research it but haven't found much. Some studies say taking it hurst the baby, others say it helps with blood vessels for hypertension. Anyone have any experience with this? Or heard anything about it? I'm so curious! Also, since I started it, she kicks A LOT after I take it for a couple hrs. A LOT! To the point of near painful
Kksgirl

Re: Anyone familiar with l-carnitine for pre eclampsia?

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:13 am

I don't know of any recent research into l-carnitine; there has been some into l-arginine, and there's a write-up available here: http://www.preeclampsia.org/component/l ... w-research

There isn't any real support for dietary interventions or magnesium in the research literature either, but I'm pretty sure grilled protein and veggies are standard pregnant fare! Keep us posted on your next scan. I hope the possible smaller size was just an ultrasound speed issue...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced