Post Reply FAQ Members Login

24 weeks and it looks like pre e is back

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re: 24 weeks and it looks like pre e is back

Postby sam10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 06:28 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Wed Jan 23, 2013 06:28 pm

It is so helpful to feel more positive. Stable labs, BP medicine that works, feeling the baby move; but most of all, I found that seeing a doctor whom you can trust is so very important and can make a big difference in how you feel. If my doctor did not worry, I did not worry. Your new doctor seems to know what he is doing. I hope you will be able to get as far as possible.
Enjoy the little kicks :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Kksgirl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

by Kksgirl (17 Posts), Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

You are so right. What is crazy, is the doctor I had before I WAS comfortable with. He seemed knowledgeable enough for me to stay here on the island with confidence rather than attempting to get high risk coverage in the states when I could back when I was 5 weeks. Then came week 23 and he panicked, which sent me into a panic! I thank the good Lord for finding this new doctor....of course he constantly warns me to be OFF the internet, but its just too tempting :) I feel blessed to only have real panic for a total of a week or two this pregnancy. I know this ugly illness can get a hold of me rapidly, but I am feeling so good. It's amazing what a good doctor who is reasonable can do for a person. I stopped liking blunt doctors after the death of our son who was born 24 weeks. His doctor came into my hospital room the day I had to have him, and said he will die, he may not be alive long enough for you to say goodbye, and she left. Well, he made it 23 hours. Her shift ended a few hours after he was born, and her partner came in and discussed options like changing a few things (I can't think of it exactly but it was like a shaking incubator or something) and he lived 20 more hours. I'm not saying he would have made it, but I now know NEVER to underestimate my child! The bad part is, when her shift began again, she stormed into my room (in the ICU mind you) and demanded to know why I made the decision, as if I was supposed to just accept imminent death. And, while I need openness and honesty from my doctor, brutal bluntness is now something I cannot accept. Especially when the words are spoke before seeing anything. This doctor has been honest but willing to try anything feasible....and LISTENS! I know he knows more than me, but being heard is rare nowadays in the clinical field. We do so much research we may think we know more about something than we do, but we should at least be heard, and if needed, corrected on misinformation.
Kksgirl

Postby Kksgirl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

by Kksgirl (17 Posts), Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

This weekend, I started swelling pretty bad, in the face especially. I went to my dr today, and my blood pressure was 140/100. At night it is even worse. My uric acid and platelets are looking great, but the protein dipstick was 3+. He wanted to admit me, but told me to go home? I was in complete shock. He said with my history, I need to be at home in a familiar environment. So, it looks like I am going to attempt to board a plane and go directly to the hospital. Scaring me really bad right now. What's worse, is my husband and family are here. He can come visit, but for the most part, I am on my own. Nothing I can't handle, but not looking forward to it. He will be able to take about a week off at a time, so I'm trying to figure out how that can work with our daughter being born. I guess what 's more important is her being born right now. We can cross that bridge when we get there. If they do not let me fly (doctor wouldn't give me a note, just told me to try), I will be packing up and going to Santo Domingo to be admitted for the duration of my pregnancy. Either way, I hope to have a good update. Thank you all for your replies. Although my husband has been with me through all of my preeclampsia experiences, this site has really helped me cope.
Kksgirl

Postby sam10 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:45 am

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:45 am

:-(
Has the doctor explained why he did not admit you to the local hospital and instead recommended to board a plane (other than for family reasons). I am not a doctor, but flying with your symtoms sounds scary to me. let us know how things are going if you are able. Will be thinking of you. ((hugs))
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Kksgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 09:34 pm

by Kksgirl (17 Posts), Tue Jan 29, 2013 09:34 pm

Well, my choice was fly home quick or go to the capital and the dr felt I needed to be in a better environment. There is no magnesium sulfate in the Dominican Rep. The reason is because its too CHEAP. It's crazy. I trust this dr wholeheartedly, but he would not be my dr if I went to the capital, and the dr there told him on the phone he wanted an immediate delivery, even though he hadn't seen me.....aside from swelling and 3+ protein, my labs are improving. I think my dr knows this is the best chance I have of our daughter surviving. I made it to the states and have an appt first thing in the morning. Surprisingly my bp has once again improved. Swelling has not completely subsided, but I've had a 4 hr flight so its to be expected. This is such an odd, twisted illness, isn't it? After going through what I did in DR, and meeting as many women there who have had the disease, I'm wondering what I can do to raise awareness in that country. To not have a life saving treatment (mag) because no lab in the country makes it since its not enough profit is unacceptable. Even my drs pharmacist wife couldn't get a hold of it. I feel for the women of Dominican Republic because they have no education on pre e and little help.
Kksgirl

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?