Anyone decline the post-partum magnesium?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Anyone decline the post-partum magnesium?

Postby GeorgiaGirl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:29 pm

I have a scheduled c-section tomorrow when my baby will be 32w6d. I was hoping to make it to 34w this time so I could possibly room in with baby (I know that doesn't always happen even with a 34-weeker) but since I didn't, I'm guessing my baby will have to go straight to the NICU, especially since he's SGA (around 3.5 pounds).

It's REALLY REALLY REALLY important to me to be able to breastfeed successfully. The nurses have said I can breastfeed WHILE on the mag I.V., but obviously that can't happen if my baby is in an isolette in the NICU (which is in a completely different building here -- no chance of their wheeling me all the way over there while I'm bed-bound).

So I'm considering declining the mag. I haven't had a seizure yet... what are the chances I'd have one after the c-section? I think I'd rather chance it and be able to be with my baby that whole time.

Has anyone ever declined the mag? Am I insane for even considering it?
Last edited by GeorgiaGirl on Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julia, age 40
six first-trimester miscarriages
expecting a miracle baby May 3, 2012
diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 22 weeks; high risk of PE (extremely low PAPP-A, bilateral uterine artery notching and other risk factors)
diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 27w5d
delivered my miracle baby, John Jr. ("Jack") at 29w1d, 2 pounds 8 ounces of absolute perfection
GeorgiaGirl

Re: Anyone decline the post-partum magnesium?

Postby LBD30 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 09:28 pm

Hi,
I get your strong feelings to want to bf. I really wanted to as well. I had an almost 34 weeker who was in the nicu for 2 weeks. I wouldn't refuse the mag bc "what if?" You will never forgive yourself. You can pump for the day. My daughter never could latch bc she was small. I was so sick my milk never really came in. Good luck tomorrow!
Lilah born 5/30/11 - emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks due to severe pre-e
LBD30

Re: Anyone decline the post-partum magnesium?

Postby sam10 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 00:18 am

The risk for seizures is at peak during the 24 or so hours after delivery and then steadily declines. I understand the absolute urge to be with your baby, but please consider your own health.
My baby went to the NICU (mandatory) for observation and evaluation and was there for 24 hours. While I was on the drip (no fun of course) my husband spent most of his time with baby. She needed calories asap, thus got some formula from him, which was great bonding time for the two of them. My milk came in after 2 days, and we attempted breastfeeding, but my daughter was too small (could not fit :-(), so we did both for a while. I was glad that she got the much needed calories, so she could gain weight fast.
Perhaps you can find a solution to your dilemma that will put you a bit more at ease. Thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced