Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Downton Abbey episode

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Downton Abbey episode

Postby kaxy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:24 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:24 pm

I couldn't find a thread for the Downton Abbey episode to talk about what we saw...is there another one?

If not...whoa. This hit way too close to home. As soon as I heard Sybil complain of headaches and swelling, I knew. So heartbreaking, but maybe it will help educate some mothers (and caregivers) just a little bit more?
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Re: Downton Abbey episode

Postby tree » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 am

by tree (819 Posts), Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 am

I thought about starting one in the Ask the Experienced forum, but this is probably the better place for it.
I was glad that my Mother-in-law had spoiled the plot for me after her trip to England this fall. It would have been harder to watch if I hadn't known it was coming. That said, the pigheaded doctor and complete lack of medical response still kept me up all night.
How did the show affect you? It was actually easier for me to watch than the House episode about the young Mom who dies from HELLP, but that isn't saying much. Have you seen Eleni's op-Ed in The Daily Beast about the show?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... today.html
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Jan 28, 2013 01:41 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Mon Jan 28, 2013 01:41 pm

kaxy wrote:I couldn't find a thread for the Downton Abbey episode to talk about what we saw...is there another one?

If not...whoa. This hit way too close to home. As soon as I heard Sybil complain of headaches and swelling, I knew. So heartbreaking, but maybe it will help educate some mothers (and caregivers) just a little bit more?

Kaxy - There is a more active discussion in the "Preeclampsia in the News" forum.
I am going to attempt to move or copy this over there.
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 28&t=45514
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby MattysGirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

by MattysGirl (4 Posts), Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

I just watched this last night on PBS's website. Oh my word! I was not expecting what happened. It was terrifying for me, I had to try and hold back the tears. Thank goodness I never had a seizure but I was close to having one Post Partum and thought i was going to die while on the mag sulfate. Thank goodness we have hospitals, mag sulfate, and IV's.
Had my son at 31 weeks 4 days due to preeclampsia. Son was in the NICU for 5 weeks and is doing great!
MattysGirl

Return to Misc