Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pre-eclampsia 2x, Questions about care & advice wanted!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pre-eclampsia 2x, Questions about care & advice wanted!

Postby mommyfrohling » Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:54 pm

by mommyfrohling (1 Posts), Wed Jan 30, 2013 09:54 pm

I had pre-eclampsia with my 1st pregnancy 3 1/2 years ago. The symptoms started to present itself at around 27 weeks. I had protein in my urine, headaches, dizziness, and my BP when they decided to finally take her at 34 weeks 5 days was 200/112. Here is my story from my first pregnancy (and how poorly, I think, they managed my pre-eclampsia).

I started getting some swelling at about 25 weeks. But I figured it was just typical for pregnancy and went on with life. But during one of my typical OB check-ups, (I think it was 27 or 28 weeks) they noticed my BP was elevated (I believe mine was around 150/90). So they had me take a non-stress test and see if laying down would lower it at all. It did lower it a bit.. So, since laying down worked, my doctor put me on partial bed rest. So, I made sure to sit down a bit more often with my feet up and lay on my left side as often as I could. Then, I went in at my 30 week appointment and my BP was up quite significantly... I also had started to notice swelling all over. I don't recall what my weight was, I just remember gaining 38 lbs during my 34 week pregnancy.. So it was higher than what you were supposed to gain. But, another symptom I started having were these terrible headaches that wouldn't go away with Tylenol.. At my 30 week appointment, they said my BP was 180/100 and that I needed to go to OB again for a non-stress test. That's when they took my blood and tested for protein in my urine and apparently I was leaking quite a bit (but I am not sure of the exact number). They told me I was to be on full bed-rest and would start to have OB appointments every week so they could monitor me. That was also when they told me I officially had symptoms of pre-eclampsia but "not to worry". I tried not to, but it is a bit hard not to be! Then, when I went in at 34 weeks (and some odd days), they took my BP and it was 190/105. My swelling had gotten a bit worse and so did my headaches. The headaches actually were pounding to the point that I would cry because of the pain I was in. At that appointment the doctor monitored me for 6 hours or so and ended up telling me to take more Tylenol and come back if I started seeing spots or my headache got worse. I went home... I tried to sleep that night, but the headache wouldn't allow me to. Then, I started to get this tight feeling in my stomach that would come and go and I was in a lot of pain between the two. So, I went back into the doctor. This time I was admitted and was told I was having contractions. So, they gave me medication to stop the contractions, magnesium for the BP, and morphine for the pain. My BP then was 200/112. I barely recall much over the next couple of days to follow. It all happened quickly and I was pretty foggy because of the medication. I do remember the nurse arguing with my Doctor about sending me to a bigger hospital Sioux City, IA. Finally, after 8 or so hours they decided to send me to --- in Sioux City via ambulance. Then, I spent the night at --- where they monitored my BP and it hadn't lowered. The doctor told me they thought it would be best if I delivered that day via emergency c-section. I had no idea that this issue was that serious! I asked if I could have a natural labor and they said that they wouldn't advise it since my BP was already very high. Apparently they were worried about me having a seizure and/or a stroke (again, news to me.. I didn't feel very informed). So, they said they'd schedule an emergency c-section 15 minutes from then. Sure enough, I went in there, they took her and she was born at 9:30 am the morning of May 21st. Unfortunately, because she was 5 weeks early, she went straight to the NICU. Also, due to my BP, I was unable to stand up to go see her. They wouldn't let me get up and continued the magnesium and morphine. I didn't get to see our daughter until 4 days later.. Also, after delivering, I was on BP medication for a good month or more. All in all, I was very unhappy and upset with how everything got handled. I feel they could have done a bit more preventative stuff and maybe not let it get SO bad. I had no idea how serious pre-eclampsia actually was at the time and I do feel very lucky to have lived and have a healthy 3 1/2 year old.

Now... Fast forward 3 1/2 years..

I am pregnant again with our 2nd child (and last one)! This time pre-eclampsia didn't start showing it's ugly face until I was 30 weeks along. I noticed some swelling and my BP was a little raised (140/90's). Right now, I am 34 weeks 5 days and displaying much of the same symptoms as I did with my 1st pregnancy: headache, dizziness, and sitting BP of 155/100. However, my urine comes back negative for protein every time. My 24 hour urine results were only 308 about a week or so ago and I have been told this is considered low and barely classifies me as pre-eclamptic. The doctor currently has me on partial bed rest, again. I am also seeing an OB this time for a non-stress test every week along with a BioPhysical Ultrasound. So, I do feel they are monitoring the baby better this time around. I am doctoring in the same town, but different doctor this time but I can't say I am 100% pleased with how this one is handling everything yet. I am a little worried about myself and how well they are monitoring/treating me. So far, every time I lay on my left side my BP drops down to 135/85 or so. But the second I sit up it shoots through the roof and is 150's/90-100's. So, I just was curious if it was normal to have pre-eclampsia with no protein in my urine and why my BP drops so drastically when laying down? Also, since it drops so drastically when laying down, I was curious if I should I be on full bed rest and not on partial? It just seems odd that it is SO high when I sit up for 2 minutes. I just don't want to get as bad as I did with my 1st daughter.. It was very scary and I had to get rushed by ambulance to a bigger hospital plus I was not allowed to get up or do anything for 4 days. It killed me to not see my baby for that long and I really just don't want to repeat history. I do want to make sure I am not over-reacting too.. I know this is a serious disease and I guess I just don't want to end up as bad as before (or worse). So from a professional view, does it sound like my doctor is doing what she needs to be doing this time around? I am happy with how she is monitoring the baby, but I am not very happy with how I am only on partial bed rest and not on any medication or anything to control the BP from getting to the point it did last time. Currently, her plan is to keep me on partial bed-rest until 37-39 weeks and deliver via c-section again. But, with the way it spikes up the second I sit up, I don't know if I feel comfortable with that.. So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion. I appreciate your time and thank you in advance for your advice!
mommyfrohling

Re: Pre-eclampsia 2x, Questions about care & advice wanted!

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Jan 31, 2013 00:35 am

by MomTimesThree (570 Posts), Thu Jan 31, 2013 00:35 am

Hi There-

I'm totally not a professional, just a fellow mom that has dealt with pre-e. Those are some high pressures to have so I hear ya on feeling worried, especially when you're not uber comfortable with your OB. Have you considered asking for a referral to a MFM (high risk doc). If you don't already, you might also want to discuss with your doctor at what point she would want you to call or go to L&D. We had specific BP numbers that we were to either call our doctor to check in or call while we were driving directly to L&D.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Pre-eclampsia 2x, Questions about care & advice wanted!

Postby kaxy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 02:15 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Fri Feb 01, 2013 02:15 pm

Are you able to monitor your BP at home? And are they able to give you those dipsticks so you can monitor your protein at home as well (not sure if this is an option but hopefully so). Because with your history and your BP already high, it seems like it's only a matter of time to get the full pre-e diagnosis.

I do think it's worth consulting with a MFM like PP suggested.

Did your doctor have a reason for no BP meds? I don't know the protocol with this, but I feel like it's a question worth asking.

If at any time you are feeling worse and just want to get checked out before your next appointment, I think it's perfectly reasonable to go to the ER (or call your doc and say that's where you're headed).

This is rough and scary, and you are doing well by being an advocate for yourself. Hang in there!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Return to Ask the Experienced