Clinical Growth Assessment

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Clinical Growth Assessment

Postby Sunshinebubs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 04:47 am

Hi ladies,

Im now 20 weeks with my second child and have my scan on Friday. I received a letter from my consultant saying that i will be having my blood pressure checked every 2 weeks, then every week after 28 weeks which is great. At 28 weeks I am also to have a 'clinical growth assessment' at the hospital. Can anyone tell me what this is, and what happens at the appointment? Ive googled and can't find anything on it?

I would really appreciate any knowledge/info on this.

Many thanks,
Sunshinebubs :)
~ Daughter born @36 weeks due to sudden severe pre-eclampsia, weighing 4lb 1/2oz. Now a happy and healthy 2 year old ;)

~ Expecting baby No 2 and praying for a smooth pregnancy and birth
Sunshinebubs

Re: Clinical Growth Assessment

Postby sam10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 06:11 pm

It probably means that you will have an ultrasound to measure baby's growth and to check if baby is falling behind in growth (IUGR), which is often the case in PE pregnancies. If you have had PE in a previous pregnancy, more than the usual amount of growth scans are (or should be) routine and is part of your high-risk prenatal care.
As the fetus is too big to measure from head to toe at your gestational age, measurements usually include the width of the head (biparietal diameter), circumference of the head, and the abdominal circumference. The length of the upper leg bone (femur length) may also be measured. All these measurements give the doctor a good picture of your baby's growth and if IUGR is suspected. A doppler study to check on the bloodflow in the cord might be part of it as well. Keep in mind that measurements can vary from technician to technician and can be difficult to perform if baby is very active or not lying in the right position.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Sunshinebubs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 05:39 am

Thanks so much Sam. I thought it might have been an ultrasound but wasn't sure if they would do that or whether there were other tests they would perform. So its nothing to worry about then. My baby girl was born at 36 weeks and weighed 4lb so they are obviously wanting to keep a close eye on this one. Its very reassuring.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated x :)
~ Daughter born @36 weeks due to sudden severe pre-eclampsia, weighing 4lb 1/2oz. Now a happy and healthy 2 year old ;)

~ Expecting baby No 2 and praying for a smooth pregnancy and birth
Sunshinebubs

Postby OskarsMummy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 06:08 am

Hiya, these are just scans to see how baby is growing and to check blood flow. I too will have many of these due to severe PE, eclampsia and HELLP syndrome in previous pregnancy. Actually looking forward to watching my baby grow. I wish you much luck with this pregnancy
OskarsMummy

Return to Pregnant Again?