Seeking Information

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Seeking Information

Postby cindergretta » Sat Feb 16, 2013 08:09 pm

I realized I have a lot of questions surrounding blood pressure, medications, pregnancy, etc. Is there a place (here on this site or another site on the web) that discusses the best way to take blood pressure, affects of medications on blood pressure and why meds might lose efficacy and/or blood pressure could rise AFTER being controlled by meds? What about bed rest? Or low bps while lying down but high bps sitting up? Does this matter? Or does it only matter that the bp is low lying down? Right arm or left arm or both?

I am trying to sort out what I should be concerned about and what I shouldn't. I don't want to ask at my appt because I end up feeling like an idiot. But I am slightly worried, dh is waffling between worried and nonchalant. And my sister and my father seem to think I am being silly, that things are fine and I am borrowing trouble.

So, where should I go to read up and find answers? (I will go reading on this site. I have before, but not lately. So it is really possible the information for which I am looking is here and I just don't know it.)
cindergretta

Re: Seeking Information

Postby jenh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 am

You aren't being silly, you've been through a lot already. It's good to be informed and proactive in your care. (It's Jen, btw, from FB/BFAR. Hi!)

Here's a link to the Ask the Experts forum and the question about how to take blood pressure. https://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=321 It seems the most important thing is to have the cuff at the same level as the heart to get the most accurate reading.

IIRC you have HBP outside pregnancy? Remember, with preeclampsia BP is not the primary problem but a symptom. If your BP is no longer well controlled by the meds, it could be a sign that PE is progressing. Many of us have to keep increasing our meds throughout pregnancy until it gets to a point where it's no longer effective. Your doctor can guide you on whether you need to increase/add/switch meds. Have you had a 24-hour urine test and/or blood work lately? That would give you a better picture of what's going on.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Re: Seeking Information

Postby cindergretta » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:57 am

HI Jen! :D Thank you!! I see the peri on Tuesday because my last appt wasn't stellar, bp wise. I haven't done a 24 hour urine and am dreading the idea of one... LOL!

Off to read the link. :mrgreen:
cindergretta

Return to Ask the Experienced