Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Getting scared and emotional

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Getting scared and emotional

Postby amallison » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:49 am

Sitting at work and becoming frightened. I had severe HELLP at 33w5d and delivered my beautiful son. I spent 3 days in ICU and was released to regular wing for the preemie mamas for 3 or 4 days after that.

Fast forward to today and I am 23w3d and becoming scared. I fear losing my life and not being able to enjoy my son or having some type of serious trauma. I feel like I made a foolish decision, and then I feel like I jinxed my new baby. :?

Coping with these fears is becoming harder and harder.

I need advice and words of wisdom.
amallison

Re: Getting scared and emotional

Postby sam10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:43 am

I had various degrees of fear, panic, anxiety throughout my pregnancy with Matilda.
To experience PE/HELLP is traumatic, to get pregnant again is like voluntarily putting yourself into the same situation with unknown outcome. It takes a lot of courage to do this. It is very normal to be scared.
I found it helpful to be busy with work, have family and friends who understand. I also saw my therapist on a regular basis. I called my doc a lot and lived one moment/day at a time.
Feel free to post any of your worries and fears, we are here and understand.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Getting scared and emotional

Postby whereowhere » Thu Feb 21, 2013 04:08 pm

Hi, I am only 9 weeks today with my new pregnancy. If my last pregnancy pre-e had not been discovered by seeing the doc the day I did, I would have likely died, and not only my twins. My husband would have lost us all. By the time they found I had pre-e, I was starting to go towards HELLP. I know I had a close call for my own life as the mother. What helped me decide to try again was to realize that I am more likely to die in a car crash than to die from pre-e especially if I am self-monitoring carefully and being closely monitored by an MFM. She also reassured me my risk is low if being closely monitored. I know that I still get in the car everyday even just to buy some milk. Why would I not go into a pregnancy where I could possibly have a beautiful baby? That is how I remind myself to try not to be afraid. Although, we'll see how I feel when I am closer to the risky time, around 20 weeks! But, at least this time I will be extremely vigilant, whereas last time I did not even know what preeclampsia was. I hope you are doing well, and feeling a lot less scared these days. Update us if you can.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Return to Pregnant Again?