Leg swelling at 12 weeks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Leg swelling at 12 weeks?

Postby whereowhere » Tue Mar 19, 2013 01:16 am

I had severe preeclampsia and lost my twins at 21 weeks pregnant. I first started with leg swelling at around the 17-18 week mark. This time I am carrying one baby. I have had two days with no noticeable leg swelling. But, for two days this week, I had swelling in the same leg that was swelled last time with my twins. I called my doctor (who knows my pre-e risk) who told me that 90% of pregnant women have swelling. She said if it gets better with rest and being off my feet, that is likely a good sign. If it gets worse even after a night off my feet, that could be pre-e related. I had been in a car for a few hours the day I had the worst swelling. But indeed, the swelling went down that next morning after rest. It freaked me so much though, as I had nightmares even before I became pregnant again of looking down to see my leg swollen huge. I know it's still early for pre-e to show, but I hate that I've already had swelling. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have swelling and then go on with a pre-e free pregnancy? Just any thoughts or knowledge on this is appreciated.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Re: Leg swelling at 12 weeks?

Postby sam10 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 08:06 pm

Oh, I remember showing up in panic at my doc's over my swollen feet when pregnant with Matilda. I was not even out of my first trimester. My doc looked at me and my feet and said that it will likely get worse during the course of my pregnancy. He was more worried if I had swelled in my face and hands.
I so very well understand how you are feeling. Remember that you lost your precious babies and each 'sign' that you associate with PE will make your internal alarm go off. As unpleasant as it is, it is also a good thing. My doc always encouraged me to report everything, so they could evaluate and decide whether it was nothing or something to worry about. I am glad you told your doctor about the swelling.
Keeping my fingers crossed for an uneventful pregnancy.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Leg swelling at 12 weeks?

Postby whereowhere » Wed Mar 20, 2013 09:40 pm

Thank you, Sam10, I appreciate your words. You have so been there! I talked more to my doc about it today. She said if it's accompanied by a raise in protein or blood pressure there is more cause for concern. I am showing neither. She also told me that some women who never even get pre-e come in even this early in pregnancy with legs like tree trunks. She says it is not an automatic sign that I will have pre-e in this pregnancy just because I had this swelling. Feeling a little more relieved.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Return to Ask the Experienced