Is gestational diabetes an preE related?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Is gestational diabetes an preE related?

Postby lisa112 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 am

Hi,
I haven't posted in a very long time. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and found out on Friday I have gestational diabetes again. I had GD with my last pregnancy. Last January I ended up with HELLP and had to deliver my daughter at 30 weeks. She had IUGR and ended up passing away from NEC. I am so scared that history is going to repeat itself again. I didn't know if anyone knew if gestational diabetes is related? I am going this Friday to meet with a nurse and nutritionist so I was planning on asking then and talking with my MFM next week when she's back from vacation. I can just feel my anxiety increasing. Thanks so much.
Lisa
Lisa, 31
Samantha Grace born 1/12/12 @ 30 + 3, 2lbs 2oz, severe PE with HELLP, IUGR
lived 17 days and passed due to complications after surgery because of NEC
lisa112

Re: Is gestational diabetes an preE related?

Postby amallison » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 am

I asked this question to my MFM and she said no. I know, or think, the GD is a placenta issue. I'd hate to say something for sure with my elementary and google knowledge of medicine.

I am concerned about GD this time because my one hour score was a 138, but at my doctor's office their cut off is 140. The baby is measuring a little large right now and I have a little more than average AFI. The doctor thought I was going to have to take the three hour, but I barely made the cut off. I'm still concerned and I actually think that I am going to request the 3 hour.

In my last pregnancy in which I had HELLP and delivered at about 34 weeks, I had low fluid and baby measured small.

What was your 1 hour? In my first pregnancy it was 189 or so.
amallison

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Mar 18, 2013 02:21 pm

Hi,

I'm so sorry you're facing a GD again. I know how complications like this can take an emotional toll especially being pregnant after the loss of your lil' girl.

This thread might help to shed some light:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... es#p350735

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and am hopeful you "just" have GD to deal with this pregnancy. Keep posted after your appointment.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby lisa112 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 06:58 am

Thank you ladies. My doctor told me that she is not worried because the fact that I got GD means I have a healthy placenta. She also said she does not want to treat it too aggressively because the baby has SUA and she is concerned about her having a low birth weight and she doesn't want me loosing any weight.

I don't remember what my numbers were last pregnancy and this time I don't remember what my doctor told me. I had to take a two hour test this time and apparently I failed only by one number. I was able to control the GD with diet last time so I'm hoping to do the same. My doctor is having me follow the same diet until I meet with someone and she has me testing my sugars. I'm getting frustrated though because my numbers have been high so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Lisa, 31
Samantha Grace born 1/12/12 @ 30 + 3, 2lbs 2oz, severe PE with HELLP, IUGR
lived 17 days and passed due to complications after surgery because of NEC
lisa112

Postby kaxy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 02:06 pm

I was borderline failing with the glucose tests with my first two children. With my son, I was a few points over the threshold and took the 3-hour, and passed that one (though my results were odd), and I squeaked by passing with my 2nd child. Preeclampsia with both, while in labor and suspected IUGR with my son.

We'll see what happens this time.

What you have doesn't necessarily mean you'll go down that path again! Will pray. I know it's stressful no matter what.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby caryn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 09:00 am

Both of them are caused by the placenta, from what we can tell, and IIRC having one puts you at higher risk of developing the other, probably because it means you've got a weird placenta in there. Though to be fair, *all* placentas are weird.

Treating gestational diabetes seems to lower PE risk.

The idea is that the placenta is messing around with maternal metabolism, because *that's just what it does*, and it is more likely to be unhappy about how it's implanted and trying to alter the rate at which nutrients are appearing on the upside of the flow if it's predisposed to preeclampsia. A lot of these things are hypoxia-induced triggers; in other words, when the placenta runs short of oxygen because it's smaller than usual or shallowly implanted, these switches start to be thrown.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby amjon » Fri May 03, 2013 09:39 pm

My MFM thinks GD is what killed my daughter at 27 weeks (Other opinions have included HELLP, cord accident, Slapped Cheek, clotting disorder, among others). I think it's highly likely I had it with her and was undiagnosed (wasn't tested until a few days before she died and was never told the result). I also had the BP issues with her. This pregnancy I was diagnosed with GD at 8 weeks. My BP was initially a bit elevated, but not high enough to require meds (normally around 140/90). Lately my BP has been pretty low (for me at least) getting some readings as low as 110/60. I was found to have a clotting disorder (FVL) and put on both aspirin and Lovenox, so don't know if that has helped the BP/ pre-e. Not sure if they are related but many of the risk factors do overlap and they can both affect the health of the placenta.
ImageImage
amjon

Return to Pregnant Again?