Postpartum PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Postpartum PE

Postby peteysmom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 02:47 am

Hi everyone, I'm new!

Has anyone had PE during pregnancy and then developed it again postpartum? I had it starting about 22-23 weeks and had to deliver at 24 weeks 2 days because it was so severe. Our son Peter lived 2 days outside the womb. Now I am almost 7 weeks postpartum and have had the same symptoms (headache, high bp, proteinuria, swelling, etc) for the past 2 weeks. My MFM doctor thinks it is a milder form of PE since my bp is under control with medicine. Has anyone else had this? I thought it was too late for that to come back.
peteysmom

Re: Postpartum PE

Postby sam10 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 08:32 am

I am so sorry you lost your precious baby! I lost my first one too, because I developed severe PE around 20 weeks and had to deliver at 26. Henry lived for one week.
Preeclampsia can last up until 6 weeks postpartum and/or only occur postpartum. The reason is that the process set in motion during pregnancy is not always stopped abruptly with the delivery of the placenta. For some of us it takes some time before your body recovers. With my second baby preeclampsia was worst the first two weeks postpartum. I had blurry vision, uncontrollable blood pressure and just felt awful, and was even readmitted to the hospital. Since you are 7 weeks postpartum, it probably is expected that you should have recovered. I would, however, always double check with your doctor, so they can keep an eye on you.
Welcome to the forums, but I am so sorry you had to find us. Please keep asking any questions you might have or let us know how you are doing, there are unfortunately too many of us who lost their babies. Sending you hugs.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced