Very high blood pressure during first labour only!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Very high blood pressure during first labour only!

Postby Kalebsmama3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 06:42 pm

Hello,
I am trying to do some research before conceiving baby number 2!
15 months ago I had my little man, he's wonderful and we would love to add another little one to the family.
My dillemma is that all through my pregnancy I never had any issues, normal blood pressure, no swelling, picture perfect..
But, when I went into labour which was 29 hours long I started out okay, then my blood pressure shot through the roof, the doctor was scared even, and my blood pressure didn't go down so they made me stay in the hospital for a few days, I did manage to have an unmedicated vaginal birth but I am not sure if this will happen again !
I would love any stories, help someone can give me :)
Kalebsmama3

Re: Very high blood pressure during first labour only!

Postby sam10 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 07:17 pm

Hello and welcome :D
I am glad you are looking for more info before trying for number 2. The best advice I can give you is to get a consultation with an MFM (maternal fetal medicine doctor, also called a high-risk OB). They specialize in pregnancy complications and deal with these on a daily basis. S/He would then go over your medical history, your current health status and might test you for underlying issues that might put you at higher risk (e.g. clotting disorders like Factor V Leiden and similar). Based on all that info, the MFM will give you an estimate of re-currence and will be able to advise you on how to proceed in a subsequent pregnancy.
You can either try to find one here: https://www.smfm.org/default.cfm or check on the website of your hospital (if they have high-risk OBs then they should be listed).

Have you in fact been diagnosed with preeclampsia when you gave birth to you baby? How high was your BP and have you been on BP medication? How long did your BP stay high?

If you have any other questions, let us know and we will do our best to help answer them :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Very high blood pressure during first labour only!

Postby Kalebsmama3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 02:09 pm

I had no clear answers on what caused my bp to go so high, I had multiple doctors as I went into labour on New Years eve and gave birth on New years day.. not sure on numbers .. I don't have a family doctor (my son has his pediatrician) but it makes things difficult because I can't keep a constant eye on my numbers/ health. They didn't put me on meds at all when I left, just told me to watch my diet and keep up my exercise.. I will definitely look into those doctors, hopefully I can have some luck
Thank you so much for the help!!!
Kalebsmama3

Return to Ask the Experienced