Finding a regular doctor? (ie. Not an OB/MFM)

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Finding a regular doctor? (ie. Not an OB/MFM)

Postby angieb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I never really cared very much for my regular doctor anyway, I saw her maybe 3 or 4 times in 6ish years, she wasn't very thorough but did whatever I asked so it was okay. She never really commented on my pregnancy history or anything. She ended up moving away, so now I have a good OB and a good MFM but no regular doctor and since I'm not pregnant, I should probably get one.

I would ideally like someone who is familiar with the cardiovascular risks we have with a history of pre-e...what kind of 'interests' or 'specializations' would that be? What tests should I ask to have run, if anything? (I'm 29, 6 months postpartum, PCOS and struggling to lose the baby weight but generally pretty healthy other than my first pregnancy and my OB medical records the size of a phone book.)

Also, how far would you be willing to drive for someone really good? We are in a pretty big area with lots of hospitals and medical places near us. Like 5 minutes away. My DH gets a "Best doctors" service through his work and they searched their database and sent me 2 names...they are both 30 minutes + away with no traffic, one way. I just can't see driving that far when I think I may have strep throat or something, with a toddler and an infant. And neither of them are at the same hospitals/facilities/groups as my OB/MFM which are at the major hospitals in our area.

Any advice or insight into this?
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Re: Finding a regular doctor? (ie. Not an OB/MFM)

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Apr 25, 2013 04:15 pm

I feel so lucky that we have someone I like (and who is kid friendly so doesn't mind when I'm lugging them with) just a few minutes away from me.

Maybe your OB or MFM could recommend someone that they send their people to (or since they are people too- that they go to! ;) ) or who refers frequently so you also have a sense that they know about pregnancy complications?
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Finding a regular doctor? (ie. Not an OB/MFM)

Postby sam10 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 08:31 pm

I have organized my doctors in such a way that when they open their computers they can connect to all my data, all my medical information from all the doctors I am seeing.And this has helped a lot. The regular doctors have sometimes specialties, e.g. geriatrics. You might find that info in their profiles when you search the hospitals' websites. I would not completely dismiss those two doctors that were recommended even if they are far away, unless their referral is unrelated to what you are looking for. My general doctor is half an hour away and it is ok for me to drive those few times I see them, but this is a personal preference you might not want to deal with.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Misc