Very soon 20 weeks, nervous!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Very soon 20 weeks, nervous!

Postby whereowhere » Sun May 05, 2013 09:56 am

Hi, I lost twins last year at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia. Though having twins is a risk for preeclampsia, I got it way earlier than normal, and I was a normal BMI. They put my risk at 60% of its returning at some time in a subsequent pregnancy. I am now 19 weeks and 3 days with a baby girl. So far, a little scare around 16 weeks with some slight rising BP's (the highest reached 130/90 which is not my norm), but now I seem to be having great BP's. I am still getting very nervous to enter the 20 week mark, especially since it hit me last time at the end of 20 weeks.

Any advice from other women on how they survived those early weeks when pre-e could come at any time, and the baby is too small to make it alive? Or anyone had any experience on just surviving pregnancy following traumatic pre-e in general without going crazy!? I am so afraid of having to go through the same horror, of not only losing my life, but the added fear of having to deliver a non-living child, one of the the worst horrors a mother can ever endure.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Re: Very soon 20 weeks, nervous!

Postby princess purr » Sun May 05, 2013 05:31 pm

I'm currently pregnant and very nervous. Are you seeing an MFM or peri during this pregnancy? From what I have been told just because you got in the first, it does not mean you will get it in the second and it will normally be later. I guess all we can really do is think happy thoughts and hope for the best!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby kaxy » Sun May 05, 2013 07:50 pm

Your concerns are certainly understandable! No suggestions, just virtual hugs and prayers sent your way.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby whereowhere » Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks, ladies. Well, at this point, at 21 weeks, 2 days, my blood pressure is perfect, and no protein in my urine. So, so far I have made it past the point I lost my twins last time. It's a good feeling, though by no means am I out of the woods yet. I am on low dose aspirin and Lovenox, so curious to see whether that has any effect. Also, this is not an IVF pregnancy as my last pregnancy was. My instincts tell me that in my particular case, it may have somehow been IVF related, as I have no real huge underlying conditions to have it so early, nor is it anywhere in my family. We will have a better idea after this pregnancy whether I even develop it at all.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Return to Pregnant Again?