Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Epigastric pain and breathlessness?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Epigastric pain and breathlessness?

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Fri May 03, 2013 09:35 pm

Hi all,
I am 25 weeks pregnant and I have been very tired and weak for 2 weeks now. Yesterday I started getting breathless with very light activity, such as making my child breakfast. Today it was much worse, and I have bad burning in my chest I think it's called epigastric pain and not sure if its just organs being pushed around, heartburn or what. I threw up once today and have felt like I needed to puke yesterday and today. I went to my OB/GYN last pregnancy at just about this time and she acted like she was inconvenienced to see me, said maybe it was morning sickness or flu so I am afraid to call Doctor to ask this time around. Is this normal for a normal pregnancy? I'm just afraid it's starting to feel like first pregnancy all over again. My BP is only 117/80. It was up and down a bit today, but highest was only 123 systolic. It has been about 106/60 most of pregnancy. This week it is up 10 points. It was 160/110 with first baby when diagnosed with pre-e. It was about 132/80 at Dr appt this week but I was stressed. I was just wondering if I am freaking out or if I should be concerned? Has anyone else had this burning in their chest about 6 months along and was it related to pre-e or just normal pregnancy? Thanks.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Re: Epigastric pain and breathlessness?

Postby amjon » Fri May 03, 2013 09:48 pm

I've had heartburn on and off for a bit. Is that the type of burning you're talking about? I do have twins though, so it's normal to get more third tri symptoms earlier on. My MFM isn't concerned and has just told me to take Prilosec if it's bad and Tums for the occasional flare up. My BPs have been pretty low lately, but she's been closely monitoring them and has me take home readings twice a day to make sure we catch any issues early.
ImageImage
amjon

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Fri May 03, 2013 09:59 pm

I wouldn't say it's heartburn just because I have had that a lot with both pregnancies and it's a different stronger feeling if that makes sense.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Postby MomTimesThree » Sat May 04, 2013 12:07 am

I've never had the right upper quadrant pain, so I can't speak to how it feels- there is a thread here that you can compare your symptoms to: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... f=85&t=492

It's not a substitute for reporting your symptoms to your doctor though. It may absolutely be heartburn and things shifting around- and I certainly got breathless as I got further along- just not that much room to breathe! :) At the same time if you are worried, you owe it to yourself to put your mind at ease and call.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun May 05, 2013 05:34 pm

When in doubt call the doc is my motto.

I'm glad to hear your BP has been behaving but unfortunately it is possible to have HELLP syndrome without high BP.

Hopefully it is something less serious; for instance my sister had bad reflux at one point which exacerbated her asthma. But during her recent pregnancy she had walking pneumonia without even realizing it!

Talking to your OB and/or PCP could help figure out what is going on in your case. Please let us know what you find out.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the input. BP went up to 142/80 tonight but I was stressed and it has dropped back down now. I feel like I am turning into a hypochondriac worrying over every symptom this time around. I will talk with my nurse about all this when she visits tomorrow. I can't wait to be through with this pregnancy hopefully with a great outcome because the anxiety is eating me up!
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Postby alviarin » Tue May 07, 2013 01:22 pm

How are you feeling today? What did the nurse say?
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?