Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Children and growth after born during pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Children and growth after born during pre-e

Postby Tscheeler » Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 am

by Tscheeler (7 Posts), Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 am

Our youngest daughter is now almost 3 1/2 and still very tiny! She is 3 feet exactly, and 26 pounds. Cute as a button, and more sassy then I can handle some days. She was born with an anal rectal malformation and had to have a pretty extensive surgery at 5 months old, and was on meds until surgery and for a little while after. We always assumed her growth was due to so many things going on at such a young age for her, or she will just be little, im only 5'2. However, I was on a pre-e website last night and it mentioned delayed growth, and them being smaller then expected can come from pre-e. Although it didn't state whether they were referring to in utero or in life. Does anyone else have a child who is very low on the growth charts? Makenna is now in the 4th and 10th percentiles but until now has usually been in the single digits or negatives.
Tscheeler

Re: Children and growth after born during pre-e

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 01, 2013 02:51 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Wed May 01, 2013 02:51 pm

Typically in-utero growth restriction can be coupled with pre-e- once out I think you're dealing with a lot of genetics (your height) and certainly the condition she was born with. As a fellow parent to a 3%-tile kid, we say around our house, someone's gotta rock the 3rd percentile! As long as everyone and healthy and growing according to their own unique growth curve (with no huge gains, losses or stagnations) all is well according to our ped. :)

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby jenh » Wed May 01, 2013 06:47 pm

by jenh (117 Posts), Wed May 01, 2013 06:47 pm

I have four children born from PE pregnancies. All my kids are genetically meant to be small. However, two were growth restricted at birth and two were not. My growth restricted babies have continued to struggle gaining weight. My almost 10yo weighs 45lb, and my 6.5yo weighs 32lb. My other two are both around 32lb at almost 4. While I have no science to back it up, I think being growth restricted had something to do with my kids' weight struggles.

I read some research a couple years ago (preliminary, not widely published yet) that looked at babies who for whatever reason didn't gain well during the first six weeks of life. Once they had access to enough food, most of them took off and caught up. A few continued to gain poorly. Brain scans showed these babies' brains had kind of re-set to expect less food, and they just didn't have the normal hunger cues to gain well. I think my girls' brains were re-set before they were even born, and that's why they don't eat or gain well. It's been a struggle for us for years, and we still don't have it figured out.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby ellemoon » Tue May 07, 2013 09:47 am

by ellemoon (47 Posts), Tue May 07, 2013 09:47 am

My daughter is 21lbs (on a good day) at 24 months. I'm not exactly sure of her height but she goes to the pedi for her 2 year check up tomorrow.

She is tiny. She was born 2lbs 11oz and we struggled with severe reflux issues and she also has chronic constipation.
It's a daily struggle.
I'm not sure if there is any coorelation between the PE/ because she was a preemie or just genetics. Her dad and I were both really small children. So, I'm not sure.

I'm currently pregnant again and I always say, the one thing I wish for (besides a PE free pregnancy and healthy baby) is that my baby likes to eat once it gets here! lol
Leslie (26) DH (28)
Chronic hypertensive since age 17
DD- born April 24, 2011 due to severe pre-e at 29w1d weighing 2lbs, 11oz
Diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR C677T
Pregnant with #2! Due 9/2/13 but will deliver at 36-37 weeks due to classical csection.
(Labetolol, HCTZ, Aspirin 81mg, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, D, Fish Oil, Fiber gummies, Folic Acid)
ellemoon

Return to Ask the Experienced