Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Had dinner with my doc tonight and...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Had dinner with my doc tonight and...

Postby AmandaS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:25 am

by AmandaS (7 Posts), Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:25 am

Well here we go. It's been almost 6 years. DD will be 6 on March 10th and we are doing this. Background- Pre-e popped up at 27 weeks- officially diagnosed at 29 weeks, made it to 35 weeks but had cerebral edema, 3 beats of clonus, and plus 4 reflexes and lasting damage to my optic nerve.

Well fast forward, and now we live on a remote island in Alaska. 800 air miles from the nearest hospital, but we do have a great clinic and dh is the CFO/COO there. My doc came over to dinner tonight and we talked. She actually read copies of all the emails I sent out starting at diagnosis to family and friends so she could see things as they progressed and we looked at preg pics from then and saw when the swelling starting- which was weeks before the pre-e.

So we have a plan set up. I leave the island in March and will go see a peri for a pre conception workup, then she will coordinate with the peri the entire pregnancy and I will leave the island no later than 32 weeks but before if needed. She's not concerned as much with the physical since we will be on top of that, but with my emotional, so I will be seen every 2 weeks my entire pregnancy, more frequently if I want. I can pop in anytime for pressure checks and ultrasounds (did I mention how awesome it is that my doc is my good friend and dh works there LOL) I will also be seeing the therapist at the clinic to help work through anxiety and ptsd issues that may come up. I also have a history of miscarriage so we will do progesterone to help that and because of my history of migraines and raynauds which are both risk factors for developing pre-e, I am going to do an anti-inflammatory diet, basically lots of lean protein- fish, which we already eat 3-4 times a week that we catch ourselves here, lots of fruits vegetables and whole grains. We are also doing clotting factor bloodwork and will discuss low dose aspirin.

So in a few months, we will officially be starting this journey. Thankfully Laura will be holding my hand the entire way :)
I'm back! Formally [b]hhbeachgurl[/b] on here :)
Pregnant again after pre-e
Amanda-31
DH-41
DD-7 (BP rise 27 weeks, PE diagnosis at 29 weeks...delivered at 35 weeks...+4 reflexes, 3 beats clonus, severe cerebral edema.)
AmandaS

Re: Had dinner with my doc tonight and...

Postby alviarin » Tue May 07, 2013 02:09 pm

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Tue May 07, 2013 02:09 pm

I know this reply is a little late, but it's so nice to hear that you have a great relationship with your doctor. And that you have a detailed plan in place.

Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Had dinner with my doc tonight and...

Postby sam10 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 02:46 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Fri Jun 21, 2013 02:46 pm

Been thinking about you. How are you doing?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia