Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Thinking about TTC #2 after Pre-E & HELLP with #1

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Thinking about TTC #2 after Pre-E & HELLP with #1

Postby momma1408 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 am

by momma1408 (36 Posts), Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 am

Hello all,

It has been a long time since I have posted on here and let me say I miss this forum! I had my first baby 1/4/2008 with severe pre-e and HELLP. I ended up switching docs halfway through my pregnancy since my first OB was not listening to my concerns and telling me it was my first pregnancy and swelling and weight gain was normal (I knew that my swelling was excessive and gaining 10lbs in a week is NOT normal).

Anywho, my SO and I are thinking about having my baby #2 his baby #1! We both really want to have a baby together but I am scared of having pre-e and HELLP again. Have any of you had baby #2 with a different dad and had a better pregnancy? I really want to know what was done different to detect pre-e/HELLP sooner and how your pregnancies were handled. I am really nervous about this but I don't want to wait too long and have my children too far apart in age.

My son was born at 32 weeks btw. They said my platelets were too low to even consider a "safe" c-section. I was told even with transfusions I would have too high of a risk to bleed to death. Also they were asking my mom to starting thinking about who is most important to save mom or baby. (SCARY)

Any advice/tips are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Holly
momma1408

Re: Thinking about TTC #2 after Pre-E & HELLP with #1

Postby alviarin » Tue May 07, 2013 02:15 pm

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Tue May 07, 2013 02:15 pm

How is it going? Have you considered a pre-conception appointment with a MFM specializing in high risk pregnancies? https://www.smfm.org/default.cfm

I asked to be tested for underlying disorders after having pre-e with my first. Nothing turned up, but I still was happy to have that information going forward. I also started monitoring my blood pressure at home with my second pregnancy. Once my BP started acting up I was put on a more frequent appointment/ monitoring schedule. I still wound up with pre-e but didn't get as sick.

My sister-in-law had no pre-e with her first pregnancy, but did have pre-e with her second pregnancy- with a different partner who also had a family history of preeclampsia.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia