Long term effects of PET

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Long term effects of PET

Postby shuzbert » Tue May 21, 2013 06:33 am

Hello - I have always been curious about this. I had PET three times (32, 36 and 38 weeks delivered) over 20 years ago. Each pregnancy I spent a long time in hospital with BP medications and observations, emergency cesareans resulting and now have 3 healthy adults. However, I would like to know if any studies have been done on the long term effects of having repeated PET, as since that time I have had to take BP medication, not to mention repeated surgeries for adhesions over the years due to the emergency operations (I also had a burst ectopic inbetween these pregnancies). Also I have recently been admitted to hospital on a couple of occasions for chest pains as it was thought I may have some cardiac issues (though all tests came back negative).
I have noone in the family at all with heart problems or high BP, not even high cholesterol, and am wondering if there has ever been a long term study done?
I feel that after such a long time all those problems are coming back to haunt me in some way and perhaps others may have to be aware of the implications of multiple complicated births? I don't mean to scare any persons at all who are currently going through this, but is future morbidity an issue?
shuzbert

Re: Long term effects of PET

Postby sam10 » Tue May 21, 2013 08:41 pm

Hello and welcome. Yes, there are studies out there that search for the link between PE and cardiovascular health. And what they are finding does not seem promising. Women who developed Preeclampsia in their pregnancy/ies (and their offspring) are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease later in life. Below are some examples of studies:.

After my second pregnancy I saw an internist who specializes in the aftercare of PE patients and she told me that going to the gym is going to be my new hobby for the remainder of my life. What she said is that my lifestyle choices will be important for managing my cardiovascular health.

Here are some links:

Here is one link to a study that looks into mother and their offspring their relative risks for developing cardiovascular disease.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44221&p=345827&hilit=risk+of+cardiovascular+disease#p345827

Linking preeclampsia and cardiovascular disease later in life.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22107134

If you are on Twitter you can follow and upcoming Twitter chat that will address all questions that people have. Here is a link to the Foundation's official Facebook page. It seems some others the same concerns/questions.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&theate

If you have more questions, please let us know and we will try our best to answer them.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced