No urine: Anyone else?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

No urine: Anyone else?

Postby mlbaker » Wed May 22, 2013 10:56 am

Hello! I'm going to talk to my doctor about this tomorrow, but I wanted to get some thoughts from other people.

I'm on pregnancy #3. In the first pregnancy I had severe PIH. Never spilled any protein. Never any other symptoms. BP became too high and they induced at 37 weeks. My son had IUGR. Second pregnancy, my bp started going up at about week 20 and everyone said that I would likely develop pre-e. But what was going on didn't look very much like pre-e. For some reason I'd randomly stop urinating for 24+ hours. I wasn't dehydrated. I would just stop peeing. Then I'd swell up in my face and hands. After that my bp would spike. I'd have sometimes really severe flank pain. I'd always joke, "My kidneys hurt again!" Then suddenly I'd start peeing again. Swelling would subside somewhat. BP would go back down. Everything would be fine until this struck again. I had a ton of tests and no one was able to figure out what was going on. At about 38 weeks my creatinine level changed, which indicated the start of renal failure. I was diagnosed with pre-e and induced. I lost about 20 pounds of water weight instantly and things went back to normal.

Now I'm on pregnancy #3. This was a GREAT pregnancy. Of course I have been closely monitored because of my past pregnancies, but bps have been stellar and I'd been feeling great. All of a sudden the no peeing, swelling up, high bp thing is going on. It happened yesterday. My face got really fat and I couldn't take off my rings. I noticed that I hadn't peed as much as I should have. Took my bp and it was 150/100. OB sent me to L&D. It was still 150/100 when I got there. Then, all of a sudden, the swelling subsided and I started to pee like a champ. BP settled back down to 140/90. Today my face is back to normal, I'm three pounds lighter than yesterday, and my bp is 120/85.

OB prescribed labetalol, as is normally indicated. The thing is, I don't think this is going to do anything. It never did in my last pregnancy. If anything, I'm concerned that it might just mask an important symptom of renal failure. I've found that a whole lot of rest and laying on my left side helps a lot.

I am thinking there's something different going on in my body than pre-e. Maybe some sort of blockage that's causing urine to back up. I was joking with my husband that maybe my baby is like an enlarged prostate or something. :D I'm just curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. Everyone's always been stumped by the fact that I just stop peeing. Surely I'm not the only one that's had this happen.
mlbaker

Re: No urine: Anyone else?

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am

I'm curious, during the bouts of not being able to pee have they done u/s or scans of your kidneys and bladder to see if there is inflammation or even kidney stones which may be causing intermittent blockage?
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby mlbaker » Wed May 22, 2013 02:12 pm

With my last pregnancy I was going to a university hospital and the MFM docs were researchers. They did a lot to try to figure out what was going on, which included scans of the kidney and bladder. These scans never occurred when I was having a no urine episode. We moved mid-pregnancy and my new OB wasn't really interested in figuring out what was going on. She just ran tests to make sure mom and baby were healthy enough to continue the pregnancy. And that's what they are doing here.

I do think there's more going on. At this point I'm urinating just fine but if I get up and move around my bp jumps back up to 150/100, so labatalol it is. The no urination thing is just bizarre.
mlbaker

Postby sam10 » Wed May 22, 2013 06:18 pm

"no urine" is definitely something you should tell your doctor sooner rather than later. A decrease in urine output can indicate that you are retaining fluid and this is usually not a good sign. Have you had any sudden weight gain, any sudden/severe swelling?

This may sound like an inappropriate questions, but it might be helpful to know. What color is your urine?

If you check the signs and symptoms (https://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms#protein), under proteinuria you find this little paragraph:
"Dark yellow urine is usually the result of low fluid intake and may be associated with dehydration. However, urine that looks dark, reddish or the color of cola may indicate a problem. If you observe this, contact your health care provider"

Please let us know what your doctors find out.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mlbaker » Sat May 25, 2013 07:24 am

My urine this time has been colored appropriately. Last time when I would start urinating again it would be very dark. I think it was brown in color.

I talked to my doctor. He didn't seem concerned at all about the no urine thing. He told me to just drink more water to try to force the urine through. That doesn't really work. If anything, I just start retaining more water, swelling more and my bp goes up more.

I'm really frustrated with how he's treating all of this. When I went to my appointment on Thursday my bp was 138/88, on the labetalol. I tried to explain to him that when I'm up moving around, my diastolic has been going up to 105, despite the medication. He ignored that, said my bp was fine, see you in 2 weeks. I was really surprised. I've always been under the assumption that if you put patients on BP meds you have to more closely monitor them.

I've decided to take it easy and have put myself of modified bed rest. It seems to help a lot in keeping my bp down. If I move around my BP shoots up high and I start getting flashes of light and headaches.

One of my biggest concerns (and I'm going to take this up with the peri. in 2 weeks, rather than the OB), I know my conception date (my husband's in the military and comes and goes a lot). They are using the first u/s for my due date, but it's about 1.5-2 weeks later than what I believe my actual due date is. Before my bp shot up I didn't think it was a big deal. Now that they'll likely induce early it's actually pretty important. If they wait to induce until I'm 39 weeks, I'll actually be more like 41 weeks. I'm simply not willing to take that chance of going past 40 weeks with this pregnancy. I think that would be foolish. How does one get their OB to take their date of conception seriously?
mlbaker

Postby LBD30 » Tue May 28, 2013 03:06 pm

For me having no urine output was a deciding factor to go with an emergency c section at 34 weeks, along with the increased BP and other labs being abnormal. My urine never came back though. Can you see your peri sooner?
Lilah born 5/30/11 - emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks due to severe pre-e
LBD30

Postby sam10 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

How are you doing today? I am still a bit perplexed that your doctor did not think that "no urine" was ok.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mlbaker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 03:06 pm

I'm doing really well. No more "no urine" incidents, which is good. My bp was really high but is now controlled on labetalol. I think I'm starting to retain a lot of fluids, but there's been nothing that I've found concerning. I'd be surprised if I develop pre-e this time around. It's been nice to get to 34 weeks with just a few high bp issues rather than hospital admissions and tests all the time.
mlbaker

Postby sam10 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 08:28 pm

I am glad to hear that your BP is stable on medication. Retaining fluid, however, can be a sign that something is up. You can read about it here: https://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms

Since your BP is controlled (who knows what it would be without medication) and you are retaining fluid, I would double check with your doctor, just to be sure that PE is not creeping up. When have you done your last 24-hour urine collection to check for protein?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mlbaker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 04:31 pm

I'm going to talk about the fluid retention on Wednesday with the MFM doc. I'm not swollen up a great deal, but I know I'm retaining a lot of fluid. I can feel it on my body. With my last pregnancy I was retaining about 15 pounds of fluid and I never had any noticeable edema. I've also had a low grade headache and some minor visual disturbances (flashing lights and "snow" on occasion) which seem related to periods where fluid retention is greater. No point in bringing it up with the OB.

I'm thinking a 24-hour urine test is definitely warranted. I haven't had one yet (which is shocking to me). I also think it's time for weekly labs.
mlbaker

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced