Slow Onset?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
Bookworm1983

Re: Slow Onset?

Postby Bookworm1983 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 08:51 am

Update: My liver enzyme/platelet numbers continue to be in the safe range, which is wonderful news. My blood pressure, however, shot up over the weekend, so I may be headed into preeclampsia land. I have read that you are more likely to have pre-e for the second pregnancy than to have a HELLP recurrence, so it is not terribly surprising. I have another appointment tomorrow and have been trying to take it easy, so I am hoping my bp goes back down...

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 08:03 pm

Since you are noticing an increase in symptoms I'd call the doc after hours. Or go to L &D to get checked out. Even if they don't want you to get checked out tonight they might want to move your appointment up.

Vomiting in late pregnancy always scares me. Especially with your history better safe than sorry!

Please keep us updated as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire ("mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Bookworm1983

Postby Bookworm1983 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 03:19 pm

Thanks for the crossed fingers :) I am getting my enzymes checked at each 2-week appointment. My bp started going up a little more yesterday with ringing in my ears and more vomiting. Since this did present slowly for me last time, I am hopeful that I can wait it out until my next appointment in a few days. It is really hard to know at what point I should be concerned, though!

mnickerson

Postby mnickerson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 02:20 pm

Most information out there seems to indicate that HELLP presents very suddenly, but I seem to recall some posts from others in this forum who developed their symptoms over several weeks. How often are you having your blood checked? I would probably be in L&D every day with those symptoms, just to be safe! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Bookworm1983

Slow Onset?

Postby Bookworm1983 » Fri May 31, 2013 01:23 pm

I am in my late second trimester of my second pregnancy. I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP with my first, thankfully with a happy outcome (healthy baby girl of 2 years now!). I am experiencing symptoms exactly like my first time, which includes general malaise, dizziness, and upper right quadrant pain (occasional vomiting returning as well). I know this is atypical, but both times, I have had weeks of somewhat mild URQ pain with my liver enzymes remaining normal. Last time, the liver enzymes went up very quickly just before I delivered, despite having had the pain for months. My liver enzymes are currently still normal, and I am going on about 4 weeks of this relatively mild pain. BP is slightly up for me, but not to problematic levels yet. Has anyone else had such a slow onset, including URP pain without corresponding immediate rise in the liver enzymes? Thanks for your input.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”