pre-e followed by 6 m/c ...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Forum Moderator

Re: pre-e followed by 6 m/c ...

Postby alviarin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 06:12 pm

I don't know what it would be best to be tested for with your history, but I know other ladies have asked for a thrombophilia panel to check for blood clotting disorders. I also asked for an ANA test but I have a family history of autoimmune disorders.

I would definitely ask for a thyroid test, if you haven't been screened for thyroid problems already. The Endocrine Society and American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recommend thyroid screening for anyone with a history of pre-term labor or miscarriage. ... id#p350105. Most docs will screen via a TSH test (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) but in your shoes I would want a full thyroid panel run including testing for anti-thyroid antibodies. Since positive antibody levels- even with a normal TSH- have also been linked to increased risk of miscarriage.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire ("mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

pre-e followed by 6 m/c ...

Postby shannonm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 05:34 pm

With my first pregnancy in 2006 I had pre-eclampsia develop around 26 weeks, and my son was born at 31+4 weighing 842 grams due to reverse end diastolic flow. He is almost 7 now and full of personality. Since then I have had 5 early miscarriages and one missed m/c (also first tri). Now I'm pregnant again, 5 weeks 6 days. My HCG levels are normal but towards the low end, my progrestone is right on the border of normal and low. I take baby aspirin.

I have an appointment with my dr tomorrow, but I feel like I need to go in armed with knowledge so I know what to ask for. I'm going to ask for progesterone supplements regardless, as well as a viability ultrasound scan later this month. He has never encouraged me to pursue testing for the m/c's but I think I'll ask for some basic bloodwork (ANA? lupus anticoag? anti-cardiolipin?). He is generally very receptive to what I suggest, especially if I have some scientific backup for my requests, but I don't have enough time between now and then to do enough reading to feel really educated on what to ask form. Any advice??

Return to “Pregnant Again?”