Am I receiving good care?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Am I receiving good care?

Postby lornarose » Thu Jun 20, 2013 04:00 pm

Hello All
I have not been on this forum in over 2 years, I think.

My brief history-I delivered a healthy but small baby girl at 34 weeks due to severe pre-e but did not have evidence of HELLP. I was 33 years old at the time.It took me 3 years to build up the courage to try for another baby. I am now 36 years old and currently 15 weeks pregnant on my second child. I conceived without difficulty(so grateful) and would consider myself generally healthy. My dating scan at 12 weeks looked very good and the baby is measuring approx 3 days ahead of dates(LMP etc).

My consultant put me on aspirin at 8 weeks and took me off it at 12 weeks-she put me on aspirin as I was flying to Spain for my summer holidays and I was a little anxious. I have been off aspirin for the past 3 weeks. In fact, I have not been put on any medication at all. I am taking a pre natal vitamin, 500mg calcium and a garlic capsule. My consultant says that she does not need to see me again until I am 22 weeks-I have an anomoly scan at 20 weeks with a sonographer. My bp is stable at just under 120/80, and sometimes when I am relaxed in the evening it can read 108/69. I monitor my bp at home once or twice a day. I feel very well, I have lots of energy and have no swelling in ankles, fingers etc. Am I receiving adequate attention. Part of me likes staying away from hospital environments as it creates a lot of tension and anxiety in me. I know I will possibly see my consultant every 3 weeks once I return to her on 13th of August.
For now though, will I be okay, do you think?
What are my chances of making it past 34 weeks this time?
Thank you so much for any input, I really appreciate it.xxx
Momma to Emma born 34wplus 3 ,October, 2010,due to severe preeclampsia and IUGR.In NICU due to low birth weight and suspected sepsis, home after nearly 4 weeks.
lornarose

Re: Am I receiving good care?

Postby sam10 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 08:29 pm

Hello and welcome back :D
Glad to hear that you are feeling well. PE/HELLP does not present before 20 weeks gestation (give or take, there have been some women who had it at 19 weeks). So your healthcare provider would not be too concerned at this stage of pregnancy. It will be important for you to be monitored more closely once you hit 20 weeks. Here is a list of signs and symptoms, which you should report to your doctor/nurses/midwife after 20 weeks of gestation if you experience any. https://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms.
I would, however, double check with your doctor about LDA (low-dose aspirin) and ask if there is any particular reason you have not been prescribed to take it any longer. From what I read around these boards, most women who have a history of PE, take it usually longer (almost to the end of pregnancy).
The chances of recurrence differs from woman to woman and depends on your personal/family medical background, your current health, your case of PE, and whether you have a clotting disorder or other health concern like diabetes, lupus etc. Your doctor should be able to give you more information on that. Are you being seen by a high-risk OB?

Congratulations on your current pregnancy and let us know how it goes :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced