Gallbladder pain and low platelets - should I be concerned?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Gallbladder pain and low platelets - should I be concerned?

Postby smilejenn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 02:57 pm

I'm 34 weeks +3 pregnant and have been having severe pain in my lower right ribcage this week. I've been to the hospital a couple times for it and my lab work has come back normal and my blood pressure is great. They discovered that my gallbladder has sludge and stones, so they diagnosed me with gallbladder pain and have been trying to treat it with narcotics. The surgeon would like to avoid surgery since I'm so far along in the pregnancy and because the gallbladder doesn't look that bad at this point. I went back to the hospital today for fluids and IV medication and noticed on my discharge paperwork that my platelets were a little low at 115, but that they weren't concerned and just wanted to retest them in one week.

I delivered my first child at 36 weeks due to severe pre-e with all the usual symptoms - high bp, swollen ankles, etc. My second child was delivered at 33 weeks due to what they think was atypical pre-e. My blood pressure was normal except for one high reading, no swelling, but I had URQ pain off and on, and my platelets and enzymes would jump around. One day they would be slightly concerning, the next they would be in the normal range.

I have an OB appt tomorrow and plan on asking questions then, but should I be concerned that I could developing pre-e or HELLP? Can the pain be located slightly lower in the ribcage? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I know that my doctor and hospital will provide great care for me, but I have to admit that I had my heart set on a full term baby this time around, :(
smilejenn

Re: Gallbladder pain and low platelets - should I be concern

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Jun 30, 2013 01:05 am

How was your appointment?
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby smilejenn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 08:11 am

Thanks for checking in. I've had an appt and a couple trips to triage. My ankles and feet are swelling, and the pain in my gallbladder is worsening along with having days where I can't keep anything down. My platelets are low but holding steady and my enzymes are okay. My blood pressure is a little higher than it has been, but still under 120/80. I can't help but feel like something is starting. My first son was severe pre-e and my second was supposedly atypical pre-e, but I have never felt this bad before :(
smilejenn

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Jun 30, 2013 05:08 pm

Oy, sound awful! I'm so sorry your dealing with yet another complicated pregnancy. Are ya feeling ok with your plan of care? Did they give ya instructions for when to call or go directly to L&D? Keep posted when you can!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sarahkm » Wed Jul 03, 2013 09:31 pm

I hope all is better! Please keep us posted. I hope your OB and the hospital doctors are consulting with perinatologists. How is the baby doing on ultrasound?? Is he/she moving ok? How is his/her growth?
Sarah
Sarah (41)
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Miscarriage 12/2011
Expecting again-due date August 16, 2013 (Folic Acid, LDA, Prenatal vitamins, BP meds, Vitamin D, Slow release Iron)
Elias Nathanael born healthy 07/28/2013 at 37 weeks 2 days, 5#11oz. No signs of HELLP or preeclampsia! Tear noticed in placenta after delivery.
sarahkm

Return to Pregnant Again?