Not sure what to do...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Forum Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Not sure what to do...

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Jul 02, 2013 04:47 am

I'm so sorry for the loss of your twins.

What a difficult situation. I wish I had a crystal ball to tell you what the best decision was for you- only you and your family will be know that. I just wanted to empathize- I also live a plane away from our hospital with a NICU and MFMs, so we know how challenging it is to manage care away from home.

Keeping you in my thoughts and glad to hear things are going well so far.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 am

Not sure what to do...

Postby whereowhere » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 pm

I was given a 60% chance of preeclampsia returning in a subsequent pregnancy after delivering stillborn twins at exactly 21 weeks. I live in a small town where there is the better hospital around out of all the other towns, but when I had to deliver my twins, they were trying to get me flown to the major city that is a five hour drive away. They could not get me out due to a snowstorm and when they could have gotten the flight to take me out, I was already in labor and they won't fly you while in labor. So, I delivered my twins in my local hospital, and though of course they were too early to survive, I knew that in a next pregnancy I didn't want to take any chances.

Fast forward and I am now 27 and 1/2 weeks with a baby girl. I relocated to the major city, and I am staying here by myself and my husband comes on the weekends to visit me. I wanted to be close to the perinatology department and the NICU since I was given a very high risk of getting pre-e again. I have not had signs of preeclampsia so far. My blood pressures have been good, though just on Saturday I had a little scare where they went up into pre-hypertension but not 140's over 90's. It was just a little higher for me and I've been self-monitoring my BP's three times daily. They did a blood test and a urine test and those came back normal. I just today took in the 24 hour urine collection just to have that reassurance too that there is no protein. But today, my BP's are back in the normal range. So, I think I just freaked for nothing.

I was originally planning to return back to my hometown at 35 weeks since the hospital can handle births after 35 weeks. Before 35 weeks they have supposedly been trained to be able to stabilize a preterm infant for 24 hours until the infant can get flown to a NICU. But, my perinatologist says that even with that, babies born preterm generally do better when they are born close to the NICU.

So, without me having preeclampsia signs yet and my baby's growth seems to be right on, I am tempted to go back home and to work for 5 weeks(it's hard not making money) and come back to deliver by C-section at 36-37 weeks(which is when my perinatologist wants to deliver me). BUT, I am nervous that if I go back home and then if preeclampsia could show up in a day, or any other complication, and I would not be able to be flown back to the city hospital, the safe hospital, and the NICU.

If anyone has been able to follow this long and detailed story, and would love to share their thoughts, it would be very much appreciated. What would you do? What should I do?
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010


Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, planned c-section due to prior fibroid surgery, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

Pregnant again, baby boy due Sept 8, planned c-section in mid-August 2016. So far so good.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests