Correlation between PE and PCOS - long-term effects

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Correlation between PE and PCOS - long-term effects

Postby aundapenner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 09:01 am

Sofia turned 4 in February and since her birth, I have been struggling with high blood pressure.

Prior to conceiving her, my OB did an internal U/S, which showed multiple ovarian cysts. That with my oh-so-never-regular-record of periods and other symptoms have led me to believe I have PCOS.

During her first year, I had liver pain - bad enough to see the doctor in the middle of the night. An u/s showed it as a fatty liver, which at the time, I just attributed to, well, I don't know.

But as I am continuing to struggle to find the right BP meds that don't make me feel groggy or tired or dizzy, much less don't make me retain water, I have come back to this idea of PCOS and did some brief research.

So, is there really a correlation between PCOS and PE? Are there any studies currently in place (or planned that anyone knows of) looking into the long-term effects of PE?

And just because, how many of us board members here have gone back to completely normal/healthy lives with no BP, liver, etc. issues long-term?

I read that there is a greater risk for non-alcoholic fatty liver and PCOS, as is my weight around the middle and BP issues, but I don't know where to begin to figure out where to start looking ... we have no intention of having anymore bio kids (but are in the process of adoption) but I just feel like there is something not quite right with me and if PE taught me one thing, it is to trust my gut. Problem is, I don't know what my gut is saying, other than there must be some correlation between all my symptoms, right?
Alice - survivor of PE twice and mama to Heinrich (Henry), May 2006, born at 34+2 at 4lbs 5 oz and Sofia, February 2009, born at 37+1 at 6lbs 5oz.

Very thankful for the PF - who I found after Henry was dealing with preemie issues.
aundapenner

Re: Correlation between PE and PCOS - long-term effects

Postby alviarin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 09:51 pm

I found an older thread talking about PCOS and preeclampsia you might be interested in:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... in#p346058

It's my understanding that PCOS may increase risk of pre-e but as far as I know pre-e doesn't cause PCOS.

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling 100%. I developed chronic hypertension after my second 'bout of pre-e, but I tell myself I probably would have developed hypertension later on anyway based on my family history.

There have been some studies of women who exprerienced hypertension or preeclampsia during pregnancy later in life, and they found greater risk of cardiovascular disease. http://www.preeclampsia.org/pdf/Positio ... _Oct06.pdf
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced