Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Confused about which Low Dose Aspirin to take

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Confused about which Low Dose Aspirin to take

Postby jedbelv » Thu Jul 04, 2013 02:18 pm

by jedbelv (6 Posts), Thu Jul 04, 2013 02:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently 8 weeks and 3 days and my ob has recommended I start LDA once a day. I do not have a clotting disorder but I do have chronic HBP. During my last pregnancy I did not take LDA (was never told to) but after reading up on the possible benefits I have decided to take her recommendation.

My question is which type/brand should I take? I read that uncoated is best but the only uncoated I found were the chewables and they all have dyes and other undesirables in them. All other LDA is coated. For those of you who are or have been on LDA which type/brand do you take? I have read many success stories on this forum from women that were on LDA and I am curious if they took coated or uncoated (chewables).

TIA!
3 wonderful sons ages 13, 10, and 6.

Son #1 and son #2 both born at 40 weeks, both weighed above 8 lbs and both pregnancies were completely problem free.

Suddenly developed chronic hypertension immediately AFTER second son was delivered ( Blood pressure was fine during entire pregnancy, but went up right after delivery. So strange!) and have been on BP meds ever since. I was 24 yrs old at the time.

Son #3 born in 2007 at 37 weeks, 5 lbs 8 oz. Methyldopa started in second trimester.
Baby #4 due Feb. 10 2014. Praying for a healthy pregnancy!
jedbelv

Re: Confused about which Low Dose Aspirin to take

Postby sam10 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 08:26 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Mon Jul 08, 2013 08:26 pm

Has your doctor recommended any type? I used both the uncoated and chewable ones and for me I don't think it made a difference. I kind of liked the chewable ones.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby jedbelv » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 am

by jedbelv (6 Posts), Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 am

Thank you for your response. My Ob did not mention a particular brand/type. I see her again next week and will ask her then. Since I did not receive any responses on the forum I went ahead and bought the orange chewables from Bayer. I am having pretty severe morning sickness so chewing instead of swallowing a pill seems to help with the gagging reflex I have been suffering from.
3 wonderful sons ages 13, 10, and 6.

Son #1 and son #2 both born at 40 weeks, both weighed above 8 lbs and both pregnancies were completely problem free.

Suddenly developed chronic hypertension immediately AFTER second son was delivered ( Blood pressure was fine during entire pregnancy, but went up right after delivery. So strange!) and have been on BP meds ever since. I was 24 yrs old at the time.

Son #3 born in 2007 at 37 weeks, 5 lbs 8 oz. Methyldopa started in second trimester.
Baby #4 due Feb. 10 2014. Praying for a healthy pregnancy!
jedbelv

Postby sam10 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:59 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:59 pm

Make it as easy as possible for yourself ;) If you are uncertain, you can always ask your doc at your next appointment. I think I had the cherry flavor.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced