Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Question about dip sticks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Question about dip sticks

Postby Asrj02 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 01:42 pm

by Asrj02 (8 Posts), Thu Jul 25, 2013 01:42 pm

Ok so first of all I drink about a gallon and a half of water a day...its the only way as I get dehydrated so easily when Im pregnant because I have tachycardia...I started experiencing hbp at 9 weeks pregnant and was put on meds by week 15. Im 31 weeks now and seeing my OB for an US every two weeks and BP checks...she also tests my urine for protein and its always in the 0 range never even trace...My bp sometimes spikes despite meds every week or so and Ive had to increase about every 6 weeks since on them. I am worried that my water consumption could mask protein in my urine and that the meds im on could also mask pre e. I guess Im a chronic hypertensive since my bp started in the first trimester...Any thoughts on what I should do or what you think about how I am being treated? No swelling, rapid weight gain, headaches or anything just the high bp...and the BP is only high when i am not laying. laying keeps it at 105/65.
Asrj02

Re: Question about dip sticks

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Jul 25, 2013 06:05 pm

by MomTimesThree (570 Posts), Thu Jul 25, 2013 06:05 pm

It wouldn't hurt to request a 24 hour urine catch. Regardless of water intake, dips can be notoriously unreliable, and a 24 hour would provide you a clearer picture of where you are.

Hope your BP remains stable, the 24 comes back similar to the dips and you have many more healthy weeks of pregnancy ahead of you.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced