Post Reply FAQ Members Login

frightened

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

frightened

Postby eerpelding » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm

by eerpelding (1 Posts), Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm

My name is Emily and about a yeast ago me and my husband lost our little girl to pre e. I was under7.5 months when we found out. Long story short we want to try again but I'm terrified that this will happen again and I'm not so sure. That I'm strong enough to go through that again. I don't have anyone really to talk to about this because I moved to a different state and have no family or friends around. I'm really worried and don't know what to do.
eerpelding

Re: frightened

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jul 29, 2013 02:22 am

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Mon Jul 29, 2013 02:22 am

Emily, I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter. I know pregnancy after loss, complicated by the fear of pre-eclampsia can be a very scary prospect. One thing that was helpful for us was to put a lot of ducks in a row before we got pregnant again. We put together a care team we trusted with our whole heart, and made sure we knew what our care would be while pregnant. Especially because you are in a new area being sure you establish care with a team that understands your history and has complete access to your records would be helpful. There are so many unknowns while pregnant, making as many things known as possible before really helped me feel more secure.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: frightened

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 07:13 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Mon Aug 12, 2013 07:13 pm

I am so sorry you lost your precious baby. It is very hard to come to terms with it and not at all easy to decide to try again.
A subsequent pregnancy is very scary, but I felt much better with the great MFM (high- risk OB) who was looking after me.
You can always go see one for a pre-conception consultation. S/he will look at your case of PE, check your current health and should send you for blood tests to look for underlying conditions (e.g. clotting disorders, lupus, etc). Based on all this information the MFM will give you a re-currence risk. You would also talk about how a pregnancy would look like for you in terms of care (usually more ultrasounds, most of us get to take low-dose aspirin, frequent BP checks etc.).
Since you mentioned you are new in your area, here is a great website to try to find a MFM in your area: https://www.smfm.org/mfm%20member%20locator%20page.cfm
You can also always google your local hospital website and search for maternal fetal medicine department or physicians.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Sending you hugs.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia