Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia x2

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Preeclampsia x2

Postby Kavadikian23 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 08:55 am

by Kavadikian23 (11 Posts), Mon Jul 29, 2013 08:55 am

I have been extremely fortunate ( and believe me I know it!!) I have a 2 yr old that was born at 29 weeks, and a 2 month old that was born at 31 weeks. Both perfectly healthy thus far! I can't help but still wanting my family of 4 one day, how do I convince everyone that after 2 preemies we could still one day have more. ... I know realistically that you get lucky with 1 that's healthy, your super lucky with 2 healthy.... ANd risking a third is just irresponsible... But I cannot help my feelings.

Anyone have any input?
make em , don't bake em
Kavadikian23

Re: Preeclampsia x2

Postby jenh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 03:09 pm

by jenh (117 Posts), Mon Jul 29, 2013 03:09 pm

By "convince everyone", do you mean yourself and/or your husband/partner? Making the decision to try again after PE is a hard one. Educating yourself about high risk pregnancy is a good idea, as is making sure you have care providers you trust completely. It's such a personal decision, though, and what's right for your family may not be what is right for others. I did have PE twice, though not as early as you (born at 35 and 37 weeks). We decided to roll the dice again and ended up with twins. It was a roller coaster ride, but we ended up with two healthy babies born at 36 weeks after being first diagnosed with PIH at 22 weeks, mild PE at 31, moderate PE at 33, and severe PE post partum. After that, DH and I decided we were done, but now four years later we're making plans to have his vasectomy reversed to have yet another. My brain knows it's foolish, but my heart longs for another. We've decided we're willing to take the risk.

As for convincing anyone else, I recommend passing the bean dip. http://growing-fruit.blogspot.com/2009/12/pass-bean-dip.html You don't need to explain or justify your decision, just reassure everyone that you have a fantastic care team lined up and are doing everything you can to ensure the best possible outcome.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby Kavadikian23 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 01:57 pm

by Kavadikian23 (11 Posts), Wed Jul 31, 2013 01:57 pm

Thank you!!! That was helpful . I just cannot imagine a loss. :/ nor could my husband. Sometimes I feel like I'm being selfish by " rolling the dice"...
Kavadikian23

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:57 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Mon Aug 12, 2013 06:57 pm

At times it felt so unfair that PE could be a deciding factor on the size of my family. But life throws roadblocks at us and some of them are rather out of the blue and shape our lives in unexpected ways. After losing our first and a very stressful subsequent pregnancy, me and my husband feel that we are happy and content with our family situation. I have to admit though, that I do struggle with it at times.
I agree with jenh, that it is a very personal decision and differs from family to family. However, I believe that both partners should agree on such matters. I wonder if you perhaps would want to seek the opinion of an MFM (high risk OB) who could look at your cases of PE and your personal health and would be able to assess your re-currence risk. It might help to make a decision.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia