Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What!? Atenolol only before appts for anxiety?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What!? Atenolol only before appts for anxiety?

Postby jedbelv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 am

by jedbelv (6 Posts), Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 am

Hi everyone,

Would popping a 25 mg. atenolol, say an hour before an anxiety provoking event like a drs. visit cause the pressures to normalize while there? I have only taken meds for bp before that work to stabilize pressures after a day or two.
Does Atenolol work this quickly? Has anyone ever had severe anxiety related labile pressures? If so, how did your dr. treat it?

Also, did anyone feel worried about having to take a drug that is considered class D like atenolol. I hate that I would have to do this because of anxiety!

Thanks
Last edited by jedbelv on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 wonderful sons ages 13, 10, and 6.

Son #1 and son #2 both born at 40 weeks, both weighed above 8 lbs and both pregnancies were completely problem free.

Suddenly developed chronic hypertension immediately AFTER second son was delivered ( Blood pressure was fine during entire pregnancy, but went up right after delivery. So strange!) and have been on BP meds ever since. I was 24 yrs old at the time.

Son #3 born in 2007 at 37 weeks, 5 lbs 8 oz. Methyldopa started in second trimester.
Baby #4 due Feb. 10 2014. Praying for a healthy pregnancy!
jedbelv

Re: What!? Atenolol only before appts for anxiety?

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 am

by MomTimesThree (559 Posts), Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 am

I can't speak to the medication, I'm sure someone will chime in soon, but can to the anxiety.

You might consider finding a recommendation to a therapist who can help with relaxation strategies targeting specifically around the doctor's office. Knowing I was going to be veeeeeery anxious during my 2nd pregnancy I saw someone who was actually in the same building (hospital) as my MFM and that I would deliver. The practice of going, and being mindful about relaxing allowed me to make it through the pregnancy with my sanity in tact, and enjoy what is such a special and short time.

Keeping you in my thoughts,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: What!? Atenolol only before appts for anxiety?

Postby sam10 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 08:35 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Sat Aug 17, 2013 08:35 pm

I am not too familiar with pressures that only go up at the doctor's, but there is a name for it: White Coat Syndrome. This means that your pressures are much higher at the doctor's office. Has your doctor considered this? I am not sure this is what is going on with you, but it is worthwhile to ask at your next appointment.

At first it seemed odd to take medication that is usually not recommended for pregnant women; but after my MFM explained that in my case the benefits of taking it outweighed the risks, I was ok.

Anxiety is common among us PE ladies. Not at all easy to deal with it on a daily basis when pregnant. It helped me to see a therapist and have support from family and friends. Also, I was very picky re my medical care and chose my MFM very carefully.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced