Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Getting Blood Pressure Taken and Panic Attacks

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Getting Blood Pressure Taken and Panic Attacks

Postby sally123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 06:47 pm

by sally123 (2 Posts), Mon Jul 29, 2013 06:47 pm

Hello, this is my very first post. I was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome on my due date and delivered the next day (a little over five weeks ago). Baby was small, but fine. My platelets and liver enzymes returned to normal shortly thereafter and I was just weaned off my high blood pressure medication (which is not back to "my normal" or normal for that matter, but getting there). I was also diagnosed with Postpartum PTSD. The delivery was traumatic and complicated by the fact that three days before my due date, my two year old was admitted to the hospital with a possible prognosis of cancer. Thankfully, it was not cancer, but a rare blood disorder from which she is now recovering. However, I have a great fear of and experience huge anxiety from getting my blood pressure taken. My first reading is always way off and who knows if I ever get an accurate reading at all. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome it? Thank you!
sally123

Re: Getting Blood Pressure Taken and Panic Attacks

Postby midwestmom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 02:54 pm

by midwestmom (74 Posts), Tue Jul 30, 2013 02:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the board!
I definitely went through what you are going through - I delivered my son after a few days of getting diagnosed with pre-e and then was re-admitted to hospital for high bp two days after release from the hospital and stayed for another week or two.
For months after my son was born I would get anxious when my bp was taken at doctor visits, I would explain to the doctor that I was anxious, and then he would take it again after talking with me for a few minutes and it would be lower. Anxiety surrounding bp readings was so intense tho in the beginning....i remember especially the sound of the squeaky wheels of the bp monitor wheeled from room to room at the hospital. Every time I heard that my heart would race.
I wish I had some words of wisdom about this, I guess all I can offer is empathy, and reassurance that it does get better! :-)
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom

Postby heatherd83 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:35 am

by heatherd83 (4 Posts), Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:35 am

Hello :)

I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone! I am predisposed to anxiety/panic anyway, but after experiencing postpartum pre-e and being readmitted to the hospital 2 days after I had my baby with a blood pressure of 213/105 I have been terrified of taking my blood pressure every since. I don't let them take it when I go to the doctor's office because the few times I have in the past 3 years since my daughter was born it's pretty high since I'm always so terrified. However, I have gotten up the courage to take it at home a handful of times (sometimes with a Xanax...) and it's always low-normal. The last time I took it it was 106/52. I was taken off the blood pressure meds at 6 weeks PP and deemed to be "recovered" but I still avoid salt like the plague and freak out over any little symptom that could be my blood pressure. I guess that's not really hope for you but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

The only thing that has stopped me from having another baby is the fear of high blood pressure and a similar experience to the first pregnancy. Oh, and having my blood pressure taken repeatedly at office visits.

Heather
heatherd83

Postby bordergurl72 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 09:49 pm

by bordergurl72 (88 Posts), Fri Sep 06, 2013 09:49 pm

I had my daughter in 2005, and was diagnosed with HELLP and pre-e, and still have a total panic attack when they take my bp.....and why I was too scared to have another :cry:
Anne, 39
DH, 47
Daughter born March 2005 at 38 weeks at only 4 1/2 lbs. by emergency c-section. Severe PE, HELLP & IUGR.
36 weeks of carefree PG, then it all went downhill and had an excruciating 2 weeks of pain and brushing off by Dr's until being properly diagnosed and delivered at 38 weeks. Since then have been diagnosed with celiac (2009) and Hashimoto's (2011).
Terrified to TTC, but really want to TTC.
bordergurl72

Postby maggie101 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 08:43 pm

by maggie101 (5 Posts), Sun Dec 08, 2013 08:43 pm

I absolutely understand where you are coming from...I had severe Pre-e with suspected HELLP syndrome (I developed all the symptoms but was not properly diagnosed) and suffered a stroke 6 days after having my son. My blood pressure was high for days (200/100) before they got me transferred to a hospital that could actually help save my life. I have severe anxiety of those BP machines being wheeled into my room...each time I saw one I just wanted to cry because I knew it was going to be high but somehow I would be blamed. I went back for my 6 week PP check and they checked my BP and it was again high but that was where everything spiraled down hill. I now insist that it be checked manually...I have been checking it at home manually and it is slowly coming back down with a small dose of blood pressure medication. My thoughts are with you...
maggie101

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders