Aspirin

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Aspirin

Postby anny4 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 08:05 am

Would you say Aspirin( if taken as soon as you find out ) and calcium works to prevent preeclampsia ?
anny4

Re: Aspirin

Postby jenh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:19 am

I took aspirin starting in the first trimester of my last pregnancy (with twins). I'd had PE already in two previous pregnancies without taking aspirin. I still got PE, BUT my twins were not growth restricted while my singles were. So no, it did not prevent PE in me, but I do think it was at least partly responsible for my babies' good growth. I don't have science to back that up, but it's logical that thinner blood would be easier to get through a faulty placenta, leading to better fetal nutrition and growth. It's also possible it slowed the progression, since I went a whopping 14 weeks from diagnosis to delivery. With my first two I delivered within 48 hours both times, although I probably could have held out longer with the second.

If I am blessed with another, I will take aspirin from preconception, but I don't count on it to save me.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby whereowhere » Sun Sep 01, 2013 03:10 pm

Well, it's hard to say, but for me, I got severe preeclampsia at just before 21 weeks last time with my twins and I had to deliver them at exactly 21 weeks. This pregnancy, I was on 81 mg of aspirin daily, calcium, Vitamin D, and Lovenox (I had some other blood issues). My doctor said all these things won't hurt, and might help. So, who knows if it was what helped or not. But, I am 36 weeks, and 3 days and I am going to deliver by C-section in only 4 days at exactly 37 weeks, (early because I had another uterine surgery prior and so they want to do a C-section and prevent labor). So far, I have had no signs of preeclampsia. The MFM, my OB, and another MFM all gave me a 60% chance of having a recurrence, but it has not come back in this pregnancy. So, it may be aspirin, calcium, or Lovenox, or just so happens because it's a different pregnancy or not a twin pregnancy, it didn't come back. I think aspirin and calcium shouldn't hurt to try it.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Postby sam10 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 08:42 pm

LDA (low dose aspirin) seems to be standard for us ladies who had PE in a previous pregnancy. It seems to have its benefits, but unfortunately it does not prevent PE (if you search these forums for posts about aspirin/LDA, you will find a lot of info. just use the search function in the top right corner).
I had PE again in my second pregnancy, but the onset was later. It would be wonderful if taking a pill would be the remedy, many people would be very happy.
If you are pregnant again, and your doctor advised you to take LDA and calcium supplement, please follow his/her instructions.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?