Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Cognitive Impairment & Mild Down Syndrome

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Cognitive Impairment & Mild Down Syndrome

Postby minniemouse8 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 02:02 am

Hello,

I had preeclampsia with my first child, which he was born 5 1/2 weeks early, had jaundice, had to stay in hospital for month after to breathe on his own, he is now 17 years old, we thought something was wrong with him growing up but didn't know what....He has been diagnosed as having Cognitive Impairment & Mild Down Syndrome,

Could preeclampsia cause this? Being born early?

Now my 3rd child, 2nd marriage, I had preeclampsia, he was born 2 weeks early, he is 5 yrs old now & shows no signs of anything wrong with him.

Anyone with any thoughts about my post?

Thank you!

Tina
minniemouse8

Re: Cognitive Impairment & Mild Down Syndrome

Postby angieb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Down Syndrome is caused by chromosomal abnormalities, definitely not related to preeclampsia, although there's a possibility that women carrying children with down syndrome might possibly be at higher risk for preeclampsia. (I say "might possibly" because I have no idea, I've never seen research indicating this but it wouldn't completely shock me.) The cognitive impairment is most likely down syndrome-related.

Your other child should be able to have genetic testing to rule out down syndrome definitively if that is a concern.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Return to After your baby is born .....