What have you done to try to prevent pre-e in a 2nd pregnanc

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

What have you done to try to prevent pre-e in a 2nd pregnanc

Postby IBackBevo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:35 am

Other than taking BA, what have you been told to do to try (or heard of others trying) to prevent pre-e in a second pregnancy? Have you found or heard of anything that was successful?

I have read a lot on vitamin d, vitamin e and c...even coq10. But, of course, it seems like a lot of the research is mixed.
IBackBevo

Re: What have you done to try to prevent pre-e in a 2nd preg

Postby kaxy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 06:21 pm

For me, getting on the road to being a third timer, I am happy I have a home bp cuff to see when things start to go south. And a good ob and hospital.

Wish there was more we could do.

I made sure my vitamin d was increased, since I was deficient but I think since preeclampsia probably has a few causes for different mamas... Yeah I dunno.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby sam10 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 07:21 pm

Unfortunately there is nothing that one can do to prevent PE. It would be great if taking some vitamins, or eating certain foods could prevent it. Many people would be very happy. The one thing you can actually do is to make your life as comfortable and healthy as possible. Get a good OB, a good MFM (high-risk OB). Make sure your hospital is easy to reach, so you can go there on a whim in case you need to be seen quickly. I also found counseling helpful to get through a very scary pregnancy.

Your doctor should decide what is best for you in terms of supplements, but what seems to be the norm is LDA, Vit D, Calcium, prenatals. Some also need to inject blood thinners (lovenox/heparin), mostly due to a clotting disorder.

Higher dosages of Vit C and E is NOT recommended. It once was believed to be helpful, but it then turned out it did more harm than good and women got sicker quicker.
Here an old thread with similar questions (further down the thread blythe and caryn explain it very nicely)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44240&p=346116&hilit=Vitamin+C#p346116
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby jenh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:29 am

I'm gearing up for my sixth pregnancy (and, God willing, fifth living child) now. I have both an autoimmune disease and a blood clotting mutation. I'm working on getting myself as healthy as possible before TTC. I've made a major lifestyle change to an eating plan that is supposed to reduce inflammation. I've had fantastic results with it; my autoimmune symptoms have almost completely disappeared, and as a side bonus I've lost 23lb and am now at a healthy BMI of 22.3 and around 22% body fat. I'm not counting on this diet to save me from PE, but I do hope it increases the chance of a better implantation.

Next spring, I plan to start vitamin D, folate (not folic acid), and low dose aspirin before beginning TTC in June. I have a team of doctors I trust. I will monitor myself closely for PE and be proactive if anything shows up. There are no guarantees, but I'm hopeful for a healthy pregnancy this time around.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby kaxy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 03:54 pm

If you live in a northern climate especially, or if your levels have tested low, perhaps it's good to start vit D ahead of time. It can take awhile to build reserves if you're deficient, so I've read.

Best wishes with your future pregnancy!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby IBackBevo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 02:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I really appreciate it! I am already on vitamin D through my RE (reproductive endocrinologist).
IBackBevo

Return to Pregnant Again?