Post Reply FAQ Members Login

A question about IUGR and pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

A question about IUGR and pre-e

Postby IBackBevo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

by IBackBevo (15 Posts), Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

Can someone tell me why some people who have pre-e end up having their babies develop IUGR and others don't? I have noticed that sometimes it does not even seem to have much to do with the severity of pre-e as I have encountered others with pretty severe pre-e, but yet their babies still did not develop IUGR. Does anyone know? Does it have to do with how early you develop pre-e?

My first cousin developed HELLP (not sure on spelling) but still her little one was normal size. My little guy, on the other side, actually was losing ground by 26-28 weeks. He was in the 3rd percentile (down from measuring ahead at 20 weeks!) by the time I was 32-33 weeks. He was actually diagnosed with IUGR before I was even diagnosed with pre-e...although, I was symptomatic and had elevated BP long before I was diagnosed with pre-e as my OB never had me do a 24 hour urine catch. And I have also talked to women who had a lot more protein in their urine than I ever did and even some with higher BP, but yet still did not have little one's who were basically starving in utero. Frankly, the most traumatic experience of the entire pre-e pregnancy for me was the effects that it was having on my LO--he was so skinny and would never move.
IBackBevo

Re: A question about IUGR and pre-e

Postby jenh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 am

by jenh (117 Posts), Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:43 am

I don't know if there is a good explanation yet. I've heard PE pregnancies described as a tug of war. The goal of the baby/placenta is to grow as big as possible so s/he has the best chance of survival, while the goal of the mother is to have a baby big enough to survive yet small enough to fit through her pelvis so she also can survive. In a normal pregnancy, these needs are balanced and neither side "wins". In a PE pregnancy, one side starts to win at the expense of the other, and then the other fights back harder, triggering the cascade of symptoms. So my guess is in some PE pregnancies, limiting the baby's size wins out over growing as big as possible, and in others growing as big as possible wins out, and in still others it ends in a draw with a normal-sized baby.

I can relate to how you feel. My first two were both mildly IUGR, while my twins were not. Ironic since twins are already at higher risk just from being twins. The one thing I think (but don't know for sure) made the difference is that I took low dose aspirin with the twins. My theory is that thinner blood could move more easily to and through the placenta, resulting in better nutrition. I still got PE, and a lot earlier than with my singles, but at least they grew better.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Return to Ask the Experienced