Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Question ofr Moms of 2+

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Question ofr Moms of 2+

Postby IBackBevo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 02:56 pm

by IBackBevo (15 Posts), Tue Sep 17, 2013 02:56 pm

For those of you on here who have had 2 or more pregnancies, did you have pre-e with the 2nd, 3rd, etc? If you did have it again, was it more severe, less severe or about the same? How much time was between your pregnancies?
IBackBevo

Re: Question ofr Moms of 2+

Postby jenh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 05:57 pm

by jenh (117 Posts), Tue Sep 17, 2013 05:57 pm

I had severe PE borderline HELLP syndrome with my first at 35 weeks and gave birth within 48 hours of diagnosis. My oldest was 3 years 2 months when my second was born. With my second I had mild PE just short of 37 weeks and induced rather than wait until I got as sick as before. So yes, my second time I still got PE but milder and later. My third ended up being twins. I had PIH at 22 weeks, mild PE at 31 weeks, hospitalized with moderate PE at 33 weeks, gave birth at 36 weeks, and turned severe post partum. It struck earlier but was slow progressing until post partum, but having multiples is a whole 'nother set of risk factors and not really a good comparison. My second was 2 years 7 months when my twins were born.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby sam10 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 06:51 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Tue Sep 17, 2013 06:51 pm

I developed severe PE with both my children. The second time around it set in much later, and I believe it was somewhat less severe when delivery was decided. This is probably only because my doctor did not wait as long, since I was much further in my pregnancy and in a good place for a good outcome. During my first pregnancy I had no clue that the "discomfort" was actually PE and never contacted my doctor. It developed PE in between my regular prenatal check-ups. At my 24-week checkup I was hospitalized and delivered 10 days later.
During my second pregnancy I was followed by a MFM and took all the supplements that were recommended for me.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 03:05 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Wed Sep 18, 2013 03:05 pm

I developed preeclampsia while in labor with my 1st born, at 38w4d. My blood pressure was elevated but not technically high at the prenatal appointment prior, and no protein at that time. My diagnosis came 3 hours before he was born, and I had no need for BP meds.

With my second child, I had some increasing BP around 37-38w, but it went back down and was only borderline high (wanting to say 130s/90, though 90 is technically high for diastolic). I went into labor at 40w1d and started out with 140/90 pressure, and it just went up from there along with protein. She was born fairly fast and my diagnosis came after she was born, though the blood was drawn while I was still pregnant and it showed 600 whatever units of protein. Roughly 12 hours after she was born, my BP went to the severe range and they lowered it with IV labetelol. That was all I needed.

My first two children are 24m apart. My third child will be roughly 2y9m younger than my middle child.

Now I'm 36w5d with my third. Last week, my blood pressure decided to take a huge jump and I'm taking oral labetelol to control it. Protein is fine now as far as I know. This is definitely earlier than I had trouble with the others. I'm going to the OB tomorrow for NST and ultrasound and will potentially induce at 37w if I can get my OB on board with that HYPITAT study.

Wish this didn't happen for all of my pregnancies! And this time, I wish I was already full term and in labor as before! Perhaps I'll still avoid preeclampsia, maybe I'll just get away with gestational hypertension. :/
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 18, 2013 04:59 pm

by Guest (), Wed Sep 18, 2013 04:59 pm

sam10 wrote:
During my second pregnancy I was followed by a MFM and took all the supplements that were recommended for me.

What supplements were recommended?

Postby sam10 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 09:28 pm

by sam10 (1436 Posts), Thu Sep 19, 2013 09:28 pm

I took LDA, Folate, Vit B6 and Vit B12, additional Calcium, additional Vit D, prenatals, a medication to help regulate my borderline thyroid (forgot the name momentarily), and some other medication I need to take regularly, but are unrelated to PE or pregnancy. I would like to stress the fact that these supplements and medications were prescribed for me with my medical background. It is important to follow your doctor's advice on what is recommended for you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?