37w today, still watching and waiting

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

37w today, still watching and waiting

Postby kaxy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 am

So...yesterday I had an ultrasound, NST and appointment. Today I'm 37w. The ultrasound showed great fluid and baby size and all that. The NST was as it should go. My office BP was good and there was no protein in the dipstick. My weight went down about 3 pounds from Monday. No headache or any of the other pre-e symptoms right now (though I have had dull headaches on and off and the doctor is aware).

Even though I'm now taking medicine for blood pressure and my doc increased my prescription to 150mg labetelol 2x/day, and even though we talked about the HYPITAT study, we aren't inducing just yet.

Part of me just wants to be done being pregnant so I won't have as much stress about will I or won't I develop full pre-e? But part of me would really like to keep this baby growing inside as long as she and I are ok, for another week. I do worry about her needing extra help breathing, eating, regulating her temperature, stuff like that. So I wonder if keeping her in for a little while longer could help with that. This study has influence for me: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21054760 I don't have chronic hypertension, but perhaps this is just being 'unmasked' in me?

I also would love to go into labor on my own within the next few days! That would be ideal. My OB even wonders if being in labor is what triggers pre-e for me, since that's when it came on with my other two. I guess we'll see.

At any rate, I asked if we could induce at 38w if nothing else, even if everything is ok with me and baby on ultrasound/NST/labs. She said ok. One more week.

I have another appointment and NST on Monday and we'll just go from there.

It's tough being in this grey area. I hope we're doing the right thing here.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Re: 37w today, still watching and waiting

Postby sam10 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 09:01 pm

I am glad it all looks good. I hope your doctor will act and induce as soon as anything does not look good or feel off. Will be checking on your updates. Fingers crossed. :)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: 37w today, still watching and waiting

Postby kaxy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 01:43 pm

Met the other OB in the practice at my appointment today. She told me that the hospital really has been restrictive on 'elective' inductions before 39w. Basically, HYPITAT doesn't really sway them and I have to be quite ill before inducing. Lovely. How frustrating.

My BP is well-controlled on labetelol right now and the NST went well. So I go back on Thursday for another.

I guess I can just hope to go into labor soon? I don't want to get really sick first :(
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Return to Pregnant Again?