28 weeks... the worrying is getting to me...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

28 weeks... the worrying is getting to me...

Postby princess purr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 09:18 pm

I know preeclampsia can happen fast, so everyday I am totally freaked out that today is the day I'm going to have to go to the hospital. I'm 27 weeks 3 days by the docs date (according to first u/s which has to be off since I was charting and know my ovulation date) or 28 weeks 1 day by ovulation date... baby was measuring ahead of even my date last u/s. Our local hospitals NICU does 28 weeks + so I'm hopeful that if anything did go wrong I could stay local... but the thought of the mag, and the cath, and the fear of having a baby early is driving me crazy. I must look at my ankles and feet 20 times a day, and I just feel like i'm going crazy. I'm trying to limit myself to taking my blood pressure just once or twice a day because I was getting obsessed and taking it every few hours. I have my OBGYN on Wednesday, I don't see the peri again until Oct 9th... I'm thinking about asking the OBGYN if I can have an u/s this week to check growth just to make sure he is still on target. I really want to enjoy this pregnancy, start ordering stuff for the baby etc... but I'm sooooooo scared.
I know a lot of you have been there... and I know there is really know way of knowing what is going to happen.... I guess I just needed to vent.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Re: 28 weeks... the worrying is getting to me...

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Sep 24, 2013 01:52 am

Val-

I'm keeping you close in my thoughts. I remember so vividly how scary it is just waiting for the shoe to drop. I had this quote hanging up multiple places in my house - "Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its troubles, it robs today of its strength." I still have it up and think of it often.

Please know that I am so aware that this is SOOOOOOO much easier said than done- but worrying will not keep any troubles at bay. It will however rob you of these moments with your sweet boy enjoying all the kicks and swooshes. You might consider talking to someone- I did during my pregnancy and it made all the difference in the world. I was able to feel in control of my worry and choose a more positive productive path.

Keeping you close in my thoughts and celebrating all the milestones with you!!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby laughinggirl127 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 05:13 am

I obsessively checked my blood pressure for my third pregnancy. Drove my husband nuts. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop, since it had twice before, and it never did. I developed PIH and had to be on labetelol 600mg twice a day for my pressures that were around 135/90. But I WALKED into that OR. was the only time that it happened. I still can't believe that I managed to escape the preeclampsia the last time. I still felt crummy for most of my pregnancy with the high BP and the worst GERD of my life day after day. Some how I relaxed a little at 30 weeks. That was the magical number for me. I felt if I could just make it to that point even if I was early the baby would be ok. Have you thought about any stress relieving techniques- journaling, yoga, or meditation. Or maybe ask the Dr if there is anything that you could take that is safe for pregnancy. I know that it is hard to breathe sometimes and not worry so I won't tell you not to. You come on here and vent just as much as you need to. And yes go order your baby stuff.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree
laughinggirl127

Postby princess purr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 07:46 am

Thanks guys. I seem to do better later in the week but for some reason I am a wreck Monday - Wednesday. Maybe because I was admitted on a thursday last time. I thought once I got past 26 weeks I would calm down, but it has just gotten scarier. I keep telling myself I have a different husband... it has been 9 years... I'm being treated for a clotting disorder that they didn't know about last time... it only took two months to get pregnancy vs 2 years the last time. I'm on meds for my crohn's.... This pregnancy is soooooo different... I have made it further then last time already, but that fear creeps back in... I don't want to be in a hospital all hooked up to machines, I don't want to have to go through the whole NICU thing and of course the thought of losing another baby is just to much. I think I'm going to tell the doctor that before and after the c-section i'm going to need meds to calm me down, but heart rate is going to go through the roof. It already gets over the 130s when I start thinking about all this stuff and start to panic.
Thanks for listening to me whine... it is so hard to talk to people that have never been there because they just don't get it. They keep telling me that I'm doing "fine" and I shouldn't worry... easy for them to say, that don't understand how this works. I'm fine this minute... and i'm grateful for that, but it is so scary to not know what your body is up to... what wheels have started turning since the day you got pregnant and what is going to happen next.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby kaxy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:00 am

It is so understandable, with what you have been through! The days and weeks can feel so long while you're trying to bide your time.

I'm glad you're going to talk to your doctors about your thoughts. Surely that will help. I hope Nov. 24 comes very fast for you!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby kaxy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 09:01 am

er, nov. 22. You know what I meant :)
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:21 pm

It's not whining, it's real fear, and it can be totally debilitating. I would go down the "what if" "what could it be" rabbit hole and I would be paralyzed with fear. Talking to a professional who specialized in medical trauma reeeeeeaaaallly helped me and helped me plan for lil' bro's birth. His big sisters had been sooo traumatic, I needed peace at the end of the road. With lots of relaxation practice- I mean DAILY practice- it was possible.

Sending lots of peaceful wishes your way,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby princess purr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Today I did a protein test BEFORE I took my blood pressure... and when I saw that was neg I calmed down and my blood pressure as the lowest it has been in days (107/69). I really want to enjoy this... I mean I only have about 58 days left at the most... I need to learn how to relaxxxxxx
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Postby princess purr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 03:12 pm

I had my 28 week appointment today... no protein and my in office b/p was 132/82 which isn't great but I have white coat syndrome. The doc told me to just hang in, and that he wishes he could tell me not to worry but he knows that my worries are warranted because the fact of the matter is no one knows. I like that he takes this serious and doesn't just brush off my concerns. I have an appointment with the peri in 2 weeks and the OBGYN right after... hoping and praying to make it to those appointments. This is just so scary and my nerves are just shot at this point. 8 weeks until the schedule c-section... I love being pregnant when I can just relax and enjoy it... but I'm ready for it to be Nov 22nd... as the time goes on my fear just gets worse and worse... I feel like everyday is could be the day.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 03:17 pm

Glad to hear your protein is ok and your BP was acceptable. It does sound like your OB is a good one!

I like your strategy of doing the protein dip first, seeing great results and then doing the BP.

Wondering if some relaxation or hypnosis CDs might help you? I did Hypnobabies with my 2nd child and it helped my mindset a lot...but I am only doing snippets of it this time (Baby come OUT and fear clearing tracks) because some of the pregnancy affirmations made me mad this time, heh.
kaxy

Return to Pregnant Again?