Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby sam10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 08:09 pm

Good luck tomorrow and remember to head straight to L&D if your BP goes too high or you experience any other symptoms.
Will be looking for your update.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE


Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/

kaxy
Registered User
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 07:11 pm

I am totally open to the 24 h, but at this point I don't even want to wait for those results. Let's do this already!

Talked with my Doula and between you guys here and her, I feel so much more confident going into tomorrow's appointment. Thank you!

And maybe I need to have the preeclampsia foundation mail this ob group some of the latest recommendations for other moms..

Will update as able.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby sam10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 06:16 pm

Oh, I would insist being seen by an MFM. Especially with your history. I am surprised your OB did not recommend that.
For a proper diagnosis, you need a 24-hour urine catch. I am not sure why your doctor would resist.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE


Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/

kaxy
Registered User
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 03:09 pm

I don't have a MFM but if I get resistance at my appointment tomorrow for induction, I will need to track one down and get a consult that day.

The hospital of choice is supposed to be a good one for birth -- it's "Baby Friendly" and has a level 3 NICU with a level 4 next door or something? And it's where high-risk moms would likely transfer to, from a smaller less-equipped hospital. So I'm really confused at the push back.

I still don't technically know if I have preeclampsia or "just" gestational hypertension at this point. They are only doing protein dips, despite me asking about 24 hour urine catches. I had a protein : creatine ratio done a few weeks ago when I was at L&D and that was it, aside from a 24h urine waaay early in my pregnancy.

If it is still gestational hypertension, then am I reading the ACOG recommendations right when it gives a range of 37w-38w6d? http://www.acog.org/~/media/Committee%2 ... 1639583723

I can see them pointing to that and saying see, we have another week?
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.

angieb
Registered User
Posts: 1194
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 01:38 am
Contact:

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby angieb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 02:39 pm

Honestly, I would start getting witchy with them.

Possible ideas:
Go to L&D every time it's high, do not bother calling them
Show them the research
Tell them to write in your chart that you have requested to be induced due to your high pressures, per ACOG recs, and they are refusing...
Switch ob's or go to another hospital

So frustrating and ridiculous. Good luck.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby sam10 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 02:37 pm

these pressures make me nervous, especially since you are medicated. I would go to L&D directly if your BP goes that high again. once you are there it is harder for the doctor to ignore you, and if they send you home with pressures that high, ask to have a written copy of that decision.
I know it is not fun to be confrontational, but sometimes we need to put our foot down. Are you being seen by an MFM?
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE


Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/

kaxy
Registered User
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 01:05 pm

Woke up this morning to decent BPs. Then this afternoon when I checked it, I had a 140/99. Sat down, drank some water, checked again and it was 130s/95, so still high but not terribly much. I called my OB and she had me take another 100mg of labetelol now (I took 150mg this morning) and she'll have me take 200mg tonight.

I'm now to call if I have readings of 160/100. Sheesh.

My next appointment is tomorrow morning. Hopefully my body chills out until then anyway. And hopefully tomorrow it won't be a battle to convince her to induce me.

Because come ON, are we just waiting for me to have way high BPs now?!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.

kaxy
Registered User
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby kaxy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 04:08 am

Ugggh. Earlier tonight my bp was up. I was getting 142/104. Stayed up, so I called and my main ob wasn't on call, it was the one I saw on Monday. She wanted me to give my bp meds more time to work, as it had only been half hour since I took my dose. Told me to try to go to bed and if I was awake, to take it in an hour and call back if it's higher than 140/100. What. How is 100 now ok?

An hour later, it was still high Imo, 140/96. I didn't bother calling since I didn't think the ob would care. Also, my headache did go away with two extra strength Tylenol.

I just am frustrated and stressed by this. Why is it okay for me to keep plodding along, waiting to get really sick? I am now 37w 5 days.

My main ob is off on Wednesdays I think. That other ob seems to not be concerned about my pressures or history.

I just don't know what I do with this. Just go to l and d if it gets high on Wednesday? Talk with the ob on the floor? Do they try not to step on the other OBs toes?

I don't like confrontation. I also don't like being a ticking time bomb. ACOG says induce at 37w. Why am I still pregnant?
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.

kaxy
Registered User
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby kaxy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 08:50 pm

Here's another helpful reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3160133/

I am having some really minor but frequent braxton-hicks. So hoping they turn into something! Not likely but hey, I can hope :).
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.

sam10
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Won't induce yet, though I'm 37w+

Postby sam10 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 07:29 pm

ugh....
I am sorry you are left in this limbo kind of situation where you feel you need to get sick first before anything happens that could be avoided. The timing of delivery is a balancing act and has been a topic of discussion amongst professionals and hospitals. Unfortunately, there is no standard that is mandatory across hospitals.
The good thing is that your BP seems under control. Very good idea to print it out all the materials and bring along to show your doctor if need be. Fingers crossed the babe will decide to make its entrance soon.
Thank you for posting these links. They are helpful to have on hand.
Please keep us updated as you are able.
~Julija (42)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE


Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/


Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests