Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What are the odds that I wouldn't make it?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

What are the odds that I wouldn't make it?

Postby jean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 09:37 pm

by jean (675 Posts), Mon Oct 07, 2013 09:37 pm

This is kind of morbid...but what are the odds that I wouldn't make it through a pregnancy? Anyone know any stats on how many ppl die? My son means the world to me, and he needs me in his life...
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: What are the odds that I wouldn't make it?

Postby Shannonlynn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 03:57 pm

by Shannonlynn (102 Posts), Tue Oct 08, 2013 03:57 pm

Jean,
I have no info but have the same thoughts. My husband and I talk about another baby but the questions keep coming up. I would be 41 when the baby would be born. We question my health, the baby's health, the possibility of multiples which we know can be dangerous with pe history. We've considered making an appointment with the MFM to talk and then we look at our son and think he's so wonderful, let's be happy with one. My second pregnancy was uneventful, so I had a chance to be calm, but that is not a guarantee that 3 will be the same. My family needs me and sometimes I don't want to risk it, but my son would love a sibling. :)
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Postby kaxy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 04:16 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Wed Oct 09, 2013 04:16 pm

Looks like this has been on your mind before, as I found this thread: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... te#p320043

Seems like in developed countries, the maternal death rate for pre-e is quite low. Still, you're right, moms do die from this sometimes :(.

Check this thread, too:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... te#p342899

Caryn sites a study that suggests a .19% maternal mortality rate.

Have you seen a MFM following the birth of your second child? They might be able to give you more insight into your own situation. It's wonderful that your second pregnancy had no pre-e or HELLP! That's a wonderful thing indeed.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby whereowhere » Wed Oct 09, 2013 05:32 pm

by whereowhere (56 Posts), Wed Oct 09, 2013 05:32 pm

The way that I dealt with that question was realizing I was probably more likely to die in a car wreck than from PE. My MFM also told me that with constant self monitoring and monitoring by doctors the risk to my life would be very low.
Ectopic Pregnancy-2010

Miscarriage-2011

Lost my beautiful boy & girl twins at 21 weeks to severe preeclampsia-2012
Mommy & Daddy will love you forever my sweet babies!

Pregnant again, due September 26, 2013. Praying for a pre-e free pregnancy.

Delivered a healthy baby girl at exactly 37 weeks, pre-e free! Had some hypertension post-partum but resolved with BP meds.

C-section planned for September 5, 2013 at exactly 37 weeks.
whereowhere

Postby jean » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 pm

by jean (675 Posts), Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, I have wondered this before...the difference is, now we have taken the plunge. And I am feeling great remorse and worry, because more is at stake now than in my 2nd pg. I have a child who relies on me...
I am scared to death, and don't know what to do. (Other than what I am already doing...talking to my OB, Peri, etc..)
So I was looking for stats...thank you for the info!
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

jean

Postby Shannonlynn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:12 am

by Shannonlynn (102 Posts), Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:12 am

I think as long as you are in good care you will be fine. Try to find a way to divert your attention. Focus on your son and monitoring your health. You had a pretty uneventful 2nd pregnancy right? Just keep that in mind. Do you have any underlying conditions? I have APS, so I am pretty sure that is what caused my problems. I guess I worry more about the baby than myself and my husband is the one that worries about me. Maybe find some relaxation techniques. I am sending peaceful thoughts your way.
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Postby princess purr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:44 am

by princess purr (1092 Posts), Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:44 am

What made me decide to try for a second time was having my first (and hopefully only) car accident in Dec 2012... and then my hubby having one in March 2013! It was beyond scary and made me realize I can't let the fear win out on trying to have the life that I want. So, I'm still very very scared... but I'm just trying to take it one day at a time, and hope and pray and have faith that it is going to be okay.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby jean » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

by jean (675 Posts), Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Yeah, my second pg went very well. I guess there are a couple of things that are making me VERY nervous about this one. My underlying disorder....we found something going on with my skin, but nothing defined. The first round of testing proved positive for something going on, but the second round revealed nothing. However, I think I discovered the issue.
I have something called Polymorphous Light Eruption. It's a response to the sun..I break out in a rash each year. It goes away after some time of sun exposure. I did not realize this was an autoimmune response issue..........until after I got pg. I thought I was done with it for the summer as well, but I ended up having a flare up..right on the day that implantation would have occured.
My other fear is that I am experiencing absolutely NO pg symptoms. (Just like my first pg) With my second pg, I was tired and was nauseas once.

I guess I'll just try my best not to think about it for now, and to keep on top of things. I'm just feeling very scared about it.

Thank you for sending the positive thoughts.

jean

Return to Pregnant Again?