Old placenta

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Old placenta

Postby Smashley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 05:13 am

Hi there,

I delivered at 36 weeks because I had severe HELLP and was told that my placenta was smal and that it looked like a placenta that was 43 weeks old.

Has anyone else with HELLP had the same issue with their placenta?
Smashley

Re: Old placenta

Postby caryn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 08:59 am

This is actually very common in any woman with preeclampsia or HELLP. They tend to be smaller and they tend to be under more molecular stress, most likely as a result of an immune conflict with the mother. (Our immune systems have to tolerate a foreign organ for an entire pregnancy, which is tricky and scientists aren't entirely sure how that works.)

One or two of the docs on the Medical Board have said that if women stayed pregnant longer, they would *all* get this - it's just that most of the time, we deliver before it is triggered. Sometimes the timing is off by a bit, and then we get sick.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced