Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Severe Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Severe Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy

Postby Jayas » Fri Oct 25, 2013 02:54 am

Hi All, I am a new member on this site. I live in UK and just want to share my story with all as most people in general think that preeclampsia wouldn’t be that severe in subsequent pregnancies. I had pre-eclampsia 14 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. My blood pressure started to raise at around 3o weeks and I started showing severe swelling. But no protein in urine at all and my blood pressure was never too high, it stayed around 145/90 ish so I was not on any bp meds. My swelling worsened at 36 weeks I gained over 45 kilos extra water weight by that time. I was induced as the swelling was dangerously severe. My son was born weighing 5 Lbs no IUGR and my swelling went away straight after. My son is a teenager now and I never wanted to try again as I got scared with my first experience. But after about 12 years, me and my husband changed our minds , wanted to try again. When I got pregnant in 2012 I was considered high risk due to preeclampsia history and having had too much gap (12 yrs) in between both pregnancies. I was put on LDA and my second pregnancy went well until 26 weeks. When I went for routine prenatal check ups, they discovered that I was spilling protein in urine, No bp, no swelling this time around. I got hospitalized straight away as my protein went to 3+ next day. Then my bp started going crazy I was put on Labitalol, but all other labs were normal. My baby girl was doing fine on scans but still she was measuring small. So they decided to wait for few more days. At around 29 weeks they decided to take her out via Csection as she stopped growing. My baby girl was born at 29 weeks 2 days with severe IUGR measuring only 800 grams. She could not cope outside and passed away. It is very heart breaking for us, we miss our sweet angel every day . I don’t know why this had happened; my consultant assured me that preeclampsia would be much less severe in subsequent pregnancies. But it certainly did not in my case. It came in very early and much more severe in intensity for the second time around. I am not sure if this is because of too much of spacing in between two pregnancies or anything else. My sister did not have preeclampsia at all in her first pregnancy but suffered severe preeclampsia for the second time at 37 weeks. That’s really bizarre, her baby boy was taken out via emergency Csection. For both of us pree was more severe second time. I don’t want to scare anyone but just want to see if there is other members out there who had similar situation and whether they tried again. I am not really sure if I can try again..

Jaya (33)
Jayas

Re: Severe Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy

Postby elg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 01:03 pm

I am sorry for your loss. Here is my story: I had a daughter in 2004. Pregnancy was very complicated with PIH but delivered at 39 weeks. Had second daughter in 2006. Again pregnancy was complicated with PIH, but not nearly as severe and delivered at 39 weeks again. Fast forward 6 years. I was pregnant with my son when all the signs of pre-e showed up. My doctor ignored them. I ended up in the ER and delivered my son 4 days later at 25 weeks. He passed away a week later. I was terrified of getting pregnant again and different MFMs gave me different opinions on chance of reoccurrence. Well, I am happy to report that as of today, I am 30 weeks and 2 days. Definitely not out of the woods, but doing very well. No signs of pre-e yet. I have always wondered if the 6 year gap is what did it and now that I had only a 1 year gap, it is better. Or is it the LDA I take. Or is it because my bp was very controlled prior to pregnancy. Hard to say, but I wish you luck. It is a very hard and personal decision to make and it is a hard tough road of worrying throughout the pregnancy. I wish you the very best.
elg

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia