Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Postby Solved » Tue Nov 05, 2013 02:59 pm

My blood pressure has been over 140/90 for weeks, and my proteinuria has been inching higher until today when I got a +2 on the dipstick (previously all trace; 24 h: 277, 160, 280). I'm doing another 24h urinalysis right now and have an obgyn appt on Friday. I've been having floaters in my vision, nausea and a migraine for 5 weeks.

So, how safe is it really to wait until my scheduled c-section next Tuesday? I'm a bit concerned about this wait-and-see approach. My home blood pressure monitor has proven to be very inaccurate, but I'm considering getting a new one just so that I can at least keep track of my blood pressure in the meantime.
Solved

Re: Preeclampsia at 38w... ok to wait one more week?

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 03:44 pm

The official recommendation from the ACOG would have you delivering now: http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20P ... eries.aspx
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Solved » Tue Nov 05, 2013 05:47 pm

caryn wrote:The official recommendation from the ACOG would have you delivering now: http://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20P ... eries.aspx

Thank you. That's what I thought. Not sure what I can do about it, though, my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. At least I went and bought a new blood pressure monitor, so I can keep track of that.
Solved

Postby sam10 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 09:27 pm

If you don't feel comfortable with your OB and/or experience any other concerning symptoms, you can always go to L&D to get checked. Better safe than sorry.

Check this link for PE symptoms: https://www.preeclampsia.org/signs-and-symptoms
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 07:35 am

I am pretty sure that any tertiary hospital would take one look at someone running 140/90 plus sufficient proteinuria plus 38 weeks and would just start an induction, but smaller hospitals might not be so up to speed on the new recommendations and the way the toolbox for care has changed recently.

Please keep us posted as you're able! I worry about people this close to the end...
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Solved » Wed Nov 06, 2013 09:43 am

Thanks! I'll keep monitoring my blood pressure (133/77 right now, so it's good), and I should have the results of the 24h urinalysis tomorrow.

So, what I would expect is that they would move the c-section to this week if the 24h is high. Is there a particular threshold I should expect the obgyn to react to? I assumed it was 300, but when the previous results were 277, 160, 280, his decision was to stop testing until the dipsticks were over trace. If it is a little over 300, should I feel comfortable waiting until next Tuesday to deliver? I don't know how strict the 300 threshold is.
Solved

Postby Solved » Wed Nov 06, 2013 03:41 pm

My results are back: 352. My obgyn wants to see me tomorrow morning, so that's reassuring.
Solved

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 am

...and? :) I'm hoping you have a healthy baby and mama...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced