Clothes for tall and skinny kid?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Clothes for tall and skinny kid?

Postby hols537 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 03:50 pm

I put this in the preemies section because I think you all are the most likely to have dealt with this, although it is not a preemie issue.

Alexander is skinny. Really skinny, but he's relatively tall. He's been wearing 2T pants, but they're getting too short. I need to get him some longer pants, but the 3T pants we've tried just fall off - even the ones with the adjustable waists. Even a lot of his 2T pants fall down too. Anyone recommend any brands that fit skinny/tall kids particularly well? I know Janie & Jack fit tall and skinny well, but I was looking for something a bit more affordable and suitable for play.

I don't sew, so I can't take them in myself and it seems a little insane to take toddler clothes to a tailor :)
hols537

Re : Clothes for tall and skinny kid?

Postby aggie95mom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 06:18 pm

In addition to J&J clothing, we've had really good luck with the slim sizes at Gymboree (circle of friends 30% off starts tomorrow). I don't think they sell kids clothing anymore, but Talbots kids had the best slim pants, too. Oddly enough, a year ago I had bought three pairs of pants with adjustable waist at Walmart one day b/c they were on super clearance and they turned out to be a lot longer than any others I had in the same size. I think the name on the tag is George. I don't shop there often enough to know if it's something they regularly carry, though.
aggie95mom

Postby kara » Wed Nov 04, 2009 06:49 pm

We don't shop Gap often, but I've noticed their sizes run small, so you might luck out with a pair of pants. Look for pants that have a large hem that you can let out. You can do that, even if you don't sew. You just need a seam ripper and some iron-on hem tape (called stitch witchery).

Avery has the same problem. Skinny, yet tallish. We also use the adjustable waist pants at Target - some adjust more than others. We've got Avery pulled in at 8 on both sides and they are still loose, so we tuck in shirts, which helps, roll the legs, and she tugs them up whenever necessary.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 07:51 pm

I used this code: RewardsCOF at Gymboree.com today & saved 30%. I love that it's even off clearance prices (which is the only thing I buy there!) :)

We've had good luck with The Children's Place slim. They adjust & are more slim fitting overall than a lot of jeans. Some pants/jeans when you adjust too much they just look like a sack tied with string YKWIM - these don't. But they don't sell slim in stores - only on-line. And I've never looked for boys but I would guess they have slim in boys too. I asked for slim one time at a store & they gave me a free shipping coupon but you can usually find a free ship code on-line.
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby mother bear » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 am

We just use suspenders.
mother bear

Postby caryn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 am

We've been able to get away with some of the stuff at Sears, which had a "slim-fit, tall" jeans line at one point. And Oscar tugs his pants up a lot, but he's older.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Fri Nov 06, 2009 03:11 pm

Overalls - no worries about the waist keeping them up.

The gymboree adjustable waist pants were always good for us. I think they started out thinner than other brands. And you can adjust them quite a bit (like 5 notches on each side.) I troll the clearance racks for good deals.

Also, they make tiny belts - so any pants with belt loops you could add a belt.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 03:42 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll search for slim - didn't even know that existed :)

Unfortunately, overalls, belts and suspenders are all out for us because he also likes to take his clothes off and sees anything like that to be a "challenge" so he would just take them right off. LOL.
hols537

Postby trish » Sat Nov 07, 2009 02:21 pm

Hey Holly - I just got some slims at Target today & they seem to run quite long & are very slim cut and are also adjustable. I was planning to buy 6's for my oldest (who turned 6 yesterday) but the 5's fit her really well even though some of her other 5 or 5T jeans are starting to get short. I got one pair of 5's & 2 pair of 6's thinking surely she will grow this winter!! Plus they were only $7 a pair!! :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby christine lyn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Oh I so have this problem with my son. He is 5 yrs. old and tall and thin. Size 5 for length is too small so size 6 are too big. Size 6 with adjustable waist is too gathered and the length is too long so, I found size 6 slim that looked great and fit good. I get them home and let him wear them to school about a week later and was like oh crap...with the waist already on the loosest they just fit around the waist. So know if he bends over they unsnap. Did he gain weight that fast? I can't win unless i want my son to wear floods.
christine lyn

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies