Post Reply FAQ Members Login

High Estrogen and IVF

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

High Estrogen and IVF

Postby canalb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 01:42 pm

by canalb (2 Posts), Fri Feb 21, 2014 01:42 pm

Has anyone read the recent publications suggesting that abnomally high estrogen during and after an embryo transfer could lead to low birth weight and preeclampsia? Has anyone heard of that? I remember my RE nurse telling me my estrogen was "through the roof" so it really makes me wonder! I really want another baby, so like everyone on here, I'm trying to make "sense" :( of what happened to me last time. Thank you for any responses. :)
canalb

Re: High Estrogen and IVF

Postby CptSpacely » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

by CptSpacely (12 Posts), Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

I've not read anything regarding a correlation between estrogen levels during IVF and PE, but I have read that high estrogen levels after ovarian stimming can lead to a failed transfer of fresh embryos (they will not implant or will miscarry early on). This is why some REs test estrogen levels after egg retrieval and will freeze all embryos if levels are too high, rather than risk "wasting" an otherwise good embryo on a fresh transfer that could fail due to elevated estrogen levels. If you have any links to the publications you're referring to, I'd be interested in seeing them.

On the other hand, I have read that IVF itself is a risk factor for PE, possibly due to a different maternal immune response to the transferred embryo than from a naturally conceived pregnancy. There's some good discussion of that in this thread: https://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45918.
DS: Born via C-section on 7/4/12 at 33w5d after sudden onset of severe PE. Now a happy, healthy toddler!
CptSpacely

Postby canalb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 06:44 pm

by canalb (2 Posts), Mon Feb 24, 2014 06:44 pm

Thanks for the reply! :) Here is one of the links, I've read this several different places now.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131624.htm
canalb

Postby CptSpacely » Tue Feb 25, 2014 04:48 pm

by CptSpacely (12 Posts), Tue Feb 25, 2014 04:48 pm

Thanks for the link--it's very interesting. It looks like the study cited in the article was very small, though, so it'll be interesting to see whether the results are confirmed in other studies...
DS: Born via C-section on 7/4/12 at 33w5d after sudden onset of severe PE. Now a happy, healthy toddler!
CptSpacely

Return to Ask the Experienced