My preeclampsia 20 years later

Share your original poems, songs, short stories and quotes dedicated to your preeclampsia experiences, from the tragic to the joyous. The goal of the forum is to provide a space to promote healing through shared expression.

My preeclampsia 20 years later

Postby Amyfredrick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 07:53 pm

My son was born in June of 1994. I seized in labor and delivery after the dr broke my water in his office after hours.
That morning, my bp was high and protein was in my urine. My previous visit, I had forgotten my urging sample and the nurse told me not to worry about it and did no check...Bp high and it had been since early May, late April...along with severe stomach pain...bottles of tums and blinding headaches with flashers.
My son was born an emergency, on the labor and delivery bed in the OR while I was unresponsive. Matt was born without a heartbeat and 0 score.... I laid on life support and after recitation he did too. I seizure done final time while trying to remove my breathing support. That was a big one. I laid unresponsive even to high pain tests. My husband was told I may be brain dead....tests showed brain activity so I was kept alive trying to come back. My son also seizured, later to be discovered to be over ventilated..... No one understands my story, or my constant worry or my son's ability.
He will be 20 in June and doing well in college....but what a lifetime of battling ADHD and fear.
Anyone else like me?
Amyfredrick

Re: My preeclampsia 20 years later

Postby laney_p » Wed Mar 12, 2014 04:08 pm

Hi Amy,

Sounds like you've had a tough experience. I have a sister the same age as your son; I bet you are really proud of all that he's gone through and where he is today! Anxiety goes hand and hand with what you've been through, not just in your pregnancy experience, but in life. Recent research that we've partnered to do has actually shown that women who have been through preeclampsia, eclampsia and HELLP syndrome are more than 4 times likely to exhibit signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, and may have difficulty with neurocognitive functioning. (http://www.preeclampsia.org/the-news/3-newsflash/300-traumatic-pregnancy-increases-ptsd-risk-4-to-10-times)

I hope that you've been able to find some outlets to help you deal with your anxiety. Do you journal or write poetry? If so, feel free to share some in this section, which is a great place to share your feelings.
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Director de Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
laney_p

Return to Writing Heals