What to do if she refuses to induce

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 03:02 pm

Re: What to do if she refuses to induce

Postby jenh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 05:53 pm

Ask her to put her reasons in writing, something like, "Patient is concerned about symptoms ABC and wishes to induce at 37 weeks in accord with HYPITAT study, but I recommend waiting based on XYZ." Then ask for a copy. Many doctors will back down when they see you have a paper trail in place in the event that something would go wrong and you might sue. Not that you should phrase it that way!
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

What to do if she refuses to induce

Postby sparkedjenn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 01:48 pm

At my last appointment, my OB told me that she would be inducing at 37 weeks. I told her if that was the case, then I would stop working after this week. I'm 35 + 2 today. So I made arrangements at work for today to be my last day, and I'm taking my full 12 weeks of FMLA in order to not lose out on time with my newborn. (I originally planned on taking 10.)

Now today, even though I went in just yesterday for a bp of 158/108, and I was spilling protein this morning, she told me that it's not bad enough to schedule an induction and we just need to wait and see. I am upset. Now I'm afraid that she will wait until I'm practically dying to induce me, even if it's past 37 weeks. I know I'm not a doctor, but I can read, and the most current research says she should induce me at 37 weeks.

Plus, had I known she would be changing her story, I could have made arrangements to keep working from home and/or with a modified role. But I'd feel really dumb doing that now.

What would you do? How can I ask her why she doesn't agree with the ACOG recommendation without pissing her off? Should I get another opinion? She didn't even draw labs today. Haven't had them in almost 2 weeks, and I've had a marked increase in bp and an increase in protein since then.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests